xix; nothing left to lose

From where he sat at on a workbench, Benji looked over to Phil, holding his mask over his face for the sake of the voice modifier. Mustering his deepest voice, which always sounded the coolest when it was modified, Benji spoke, "Hello, Devil." He commented, silly grin making it's way onto his lips. He tossed the mask to the side, and then raised an eyebrow, looking to his friend. "You know, we're tryin' to do some good. People forget that." 

"Easy to forget things when someone shoots you, Benji." Phil replied from where he was looking out the curtains, then back to his friend. "What good have we ever done?" 

Benji paused. "This whole thing," He finally said, and made some hand motions. "It started because we wanted to be better than the law. We wanted to take the rough steps, control the crime, and we did what police wouldn't. We only killed for the safety of the city." He looked to the table, to where he'd carved his name the day he'd gotten it, the stupid work table where he built everything they carried with them. "People have to die so others survive, y'know?"

Phil moved a little bit, across the room, and glanced at him. "You always were so damn noble, weren't you?" He muttered, and swiped a hand dismissively in the air. "We pretty much switched personalities, how'd that happen?" 

The blonde boy straightened, and then counted back on his fingers. "You lost more people, and I didn't have anyone left to lose." He told his friend, and let his shoulders drop a little bit, before he closed his eyes and exhaled. His mom was the last one he had, and she'd been so damn self-destructive stabbing her arms with needles, that her son hadn't mattered. He'd gotten over her death before she'd died, because she'd been dead to him years before. 

"Of course." Phil mumbled, and then he paused, chewing on his cheek. He extended a hand to Benji, quiet for a moment, and then he smiled. "Get up, we're gonna go get some coffee like normal friends."

"Of course we are." Benji winked. "Buy me mine, I'm broke."

Phil raised an eyebrow towards his friend. "You're a lost cause." He told him, and rolled his blue eyes, but then Benji looked over to him fleetingly after shoving his phone into his pocket. 

"Not a hero." He answered, and gave his black haired friend a grin.

Phil whistled, and tucked his hands into his pockets. "You know what I want?" He finally asked. "To move away from my damn neighbour, he's too hot for his own good."

"Holy shit, Phil, that was blunt."

But then they left, coffee and hot neighbours on their mind, or at least on Phil's.

No one wanted to see what was on Benji's mind.

  →→→ 

did anyone notice my simple plan reference hahahhah im so funny

also these are so uneventfUL THIS BOOK IS GOING TO BE SO LONG