Hidden in the corner, there is a glint of something I cannot catch. Sadness?

   He adjusts his earbuds. "Can you move?" He asks bluntly.

   I swallow hardly. His voice is deep and raspy. It sounds as if he just woke up. I want to say something, but the words won't come out.

   "Stop staring at me." He demands. I step back and nod.

   "Uh.. Sorry. You can go. I mean you can throw out your garbage." I stutter. I shift away from the trash and allow him to throw out the half eaten apple that was in his hand.

   Emily was right. How rude can he get? "Sorry, but that was kind of rude." I cross my arms over my chest. He spins around to face me.

   "It was rude to stand in front of the trash bin." He rolls his eyes and continues to the table he was once sitting at.

   I stand still, completely speechless.

   "Aria! Come on!" Maya calls. My eyes wander to Lucas and Maya who are already about to leave the cafeteria. I rush to our table and grab my bag.

   I make my way out of the cafeteria shortly after everyone else.

How can someone be so..bitter, I thought. I had never truly payed close attention to Sebastian. He was simply a familiar face in the halls. Why is it different now?

I shouldn't care what he has to say, or how rude he is. So why am I still trying to solve this puzzle? One million thoughts and questions wrap around my mind.

"Earth to Aria!" She squeals. My eyes widen at the sight of Maya hand waving in my face.

"Sorry!" I say quickly.

"What's the matter with you? You look like a deer in the headlights." She questions.

I sigh and continue walking down the hall. "I don't know..I'm just trying to wrap my head around something, again."

She rolls her eyes. "If it's Sebastian again, just leave it. He's a mystery no one can solve."

"Yeah.." I hold my books to my chest.

He's a mystery no one can solve. The statement floats around my mind.

Leave it alone, Aria.

We continue to Math. If I'm late again, there will be a definite detention waiting for me.

-

"Lana!" I call. I drop my bag on a seat that sits in the foyer of my house. I kick off my shoes and enter the kitchen. "Lana! Hello?" I call out again.

Little Lana peers out of the family room. "Hi Ari." She smiles.

I sigh in relief. "Why didn't you answer me?"

   "I was watching T.V." She skips to the kitchen counter. Her long hair slaps her back as she hops onto the chair. I roll my eyes and rummage through my pantry.

Before I can reach for a half-eaten bag of chips, I hear the sound of a doorbell. It must be Maya, she was desperate to come over today.

I snatch the chips and run to the front door. I pull at the doorknob, revealing an overjoyed Maya. "Thank God I was able to leave my home!" She huffs and marches into the house.

"Hello to you too." I laugh.

"Sorry." She smiles apologetically. "I'm just extremely thankful to not have to deal with my stupid cousins." She rolls her eyes.

"Well, we have chips and T.V. That's all you need." She chuckles. "We'll be upstairs!" I tell Lana.

   "Okay!" She yells back.

   Maya and I run up the stairs and into my bedroom. I rush to the bed and flop down on my stomach. Maya laughs and joins me. I adjust myself to face the small flat screen T.V and reach for the remote.

   "So..how's your Sebastian problems?" She teases. I roll my eyes. "Their is no problem, Maya. I just..he's interesting." I sigh.

   "Talk to him then. You're the famous Aria Watson!" She chuckles. I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "You said it yourself, he's a mystery no one can solve."

   She laughs again. "Aria, I was kidding. You can't be serious. No one wants to get to know him. He gets in girls pants, then shuts them out. Besides, you have to focus on soccer and your boyfriend and school!" She scrolls through Netflix.

   I immediately stare at my duvet. Maya is right. But is it so bad to want to get to know him?

                    *   *   *   *   *   *   *  

   Hope you enjoyed!
Xoxo