Chapter thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

“Ali, this is Katniss, Katniss, Ali.” I introduce remembering my manors.

“Hello.” Katniss greets as I move to stand back at her side and she leans into me.

“Have you seen my dad? Marc?” She asks desperate for any information. I look to Katniss who is staring at the other side of the river. I can just make out the silhouette of a man and before I have any time to react he has jumped in the river and hopped out the other side and pulling Ali into a tight hug. This must be Marc. I quickly turn my attention back to Katniss and watch her as she watches their reunion. I am never letting her out of my sight as long as I live, she belongs with me. We belong together. Two halves of a whole. Neither complete without the other. She catches me staring at her and frowns.

“What?” She asks and I don’t hesitate in letting her know my thoughts.

“I am never letting you out of my sight again Mrs. Mellark.” I whisper as I begin to trail down her neck and cheek with kisses. She laughes softly at my touch and wraps her arms around me pulling me closer to her but doesn’t stop me.

“Let’s get settled for the night.” I suggest.

“OK, are we up the trees again?” She asks but I can see the pain in her eyes, what is wrong with the trees? She has never had a problem with them before, in fact she has always insisted that they are the safest place to camp.

“Are you sure you’re OK for that Katniss.” Asks Marc I whip my head around to him before frowning ang turning back to Katniss waiting for an explanation.

“What is he talking about?” I demand.

“My leg.” Is all she says and instantly drop my gaze. I try to stop the gasp that escapes my lips as I take in her broken leg. I quickly sweep over the rest of her, checking for any more signs of hurt but she catches me and explains more fully.

“Peeta, I’m fine, it’s just my leg, it’s broken.”

“How?” I ask trying to keep my voice even.

“Let’s get settled for the night, then I’ll tell you everything.” She asks begging me silently with her eyes.

“We will go in this tree.” Ali suggests pointing to the tree she had just come down from.

“OK, we will be in the tree next to yours.” I state as Katniss leans into me, this time though I know its for support as opposed to comfort and closeness. I wrap my arm around her waist and try and take as much of her weight from her as I can.

“I’ll keep watch for the first part of the night.” States Marc.

“I’ll say down with you then dad. I want to spend time with you.” He smiles down at his daughter and he leads her over to our small pile of belongings.

“We will need to sort out what we have between us in the morning.” Katniss states flatly as we make our way over to the tree. I see her staring at the arrow still embedded in the tree. The one which almost killed me and I know she will be beating herself up inside for her accident. I have to make a joke of this, lighten the mood and to make sure she knows that I have completely forgiven her. I lean across her and remove it from the trunk rolling it between my fingers I turn to face her.

“You know, I think I might keep this.” I begin but I can see that she is about to argue with me so I stop her with my own words. “The only arrow shot by Katniss Mellark that has ever missed its target.”

“Don’t make me regret missing.” She mutters.

“Awww, now I know you don’t mean that and you know I was joking.” I add before stepping around her and leaning against the tree. I link my hands together and flick my head letting her know its time to get her into the tree