D R O W N I N G S O R R O W S

Start from the beginning

"Do you have a drinking problem that I don't know about?" He immediately asked with a confused expression. I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

"Nooooo," I gave him a closed eye smile, producing two small sake cups from the same weapons pouch and placing them on the floor in front of me. He gave me a skeptical look.

"You're different when you're drunk, you know that right?"

"It's not like I drink to stay the same. Now come sit," I demanded, hiccuping to punctuate my statement. I heard him mumble something to himself before he began untying the obi around his waist. He set it, along with his waist wrap and sword, in the corner of the room before he conceded and sat on the floor across from me.

With his accessories absent, I finally got a good view of the bandages wrapped around his torso under his black shirt. It made me frown momentarily and I mentally noted to ask him about his injuries later as I uncapped the alcohol. I brought each small cup one at a time to the brim of the bottle, steadying my shaking hand against the ceramic as I tipped the liquid into the cups. I placed one down in front of myself and held out the other to Sasuke.

"Here," I stated as I extended my hand to him. He gave the cup another skeptical look before reluctantly taking it from me. His fingertips brushed mine during the exchange, and I felt heat rush to my face for a moment.

I quickly looked away from him and lifted my cup from the floor, pushing away the odd feeling.

"Alright, cheers!" I reached forward and clacked my cup against his, quickly bring it to my lips and downing the liquid in one gulp.

As I wiped my mouth, I noticed that Sasuke hadn't moved an inch. His gaze met mine and I smiled at him with half-lidded eyes.

"It's easiest if you don't think about the taste and just go for it. Toss your head back, let gravity do the work."

He gave the cup in hand one last apprehensive glance before squeezing his eyes shut and drinking it's contents.

"Ugh," he gasped unexpectedly as the cup left his lips. "You drink this stuff?"

His face held a look of pure disgust and his eyes were wide from the shock of the taste. I grinned.

"You mean to tell me that the great Sasuke Uchiha has never tasted sake before?" I teased, pouring more into my glass and reaching forward to grab his. He noticed the motion though and quickly moved his hand before I could take it.

"No way," he shook his head, "we should get some rest." But as he said that, his face faltered ever so slightly and his cheeks began to tinge pink from the sake.

"Aw c'mon Sasuke, drink away your sorrows with me," I said, quickly leaning forward and yanking the cup from his grip. 

I expect him to take it back from me. I expected him to get mad and argue and insist that we needed to be well rested for the morning. I expected him to do pretty much anything to get out of having a good time, but instead, all he did was roll his eyes and shake his head before sending me his signature smirk.

And my inebriated mind couldn't stop itself from thinking about just how attractive that gesture was.

My face grew red at the thoughts filling my mind as I refilled his cup and handed it to him. His fingertips brushed against mine once more.

We downed three more shots each before we spoke again. The bottle was now half gone, and Sasuke's half open eyes seemed to match it perfectly.