A Treat

Alfie had been feeling down for weeks because of what had transpired during the Defense Against The Dark Arts class. His little companion, Pennyfeather, would always disappear into the corridors of Hogwarts Castle. But she'd always come back. This time, she was not just a few days away from popping up in his transfiguration class. She was a farther distance in the past to a point in time that he could not know. "I have the means to go to her, but I don't know where or when she is!" He'd lamented to Lily one day.

"We've got to do something about Alfie." Lily confided in Hugo and Majavir.

"But what are we going to do? He's getting out of control!" Majavir was his usual over dramatic self, throwing his hands in the air. "He announced the Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw game and every joke Bruce sent his way he responded with..."

"Pennyfeather would have liked that." Hugo finished his sentence, mimicking Alfie's sad voice.

"Alfie's going through a tough time." Lily's nurturing nature kicked in. "I have an idea."

During the Gryffindor/Slytherin double potions class, Lily and morgana approached Alfie. Their Wiggenweld potions were bottled and ready to be graded. Alfie struggled with his flobberworm mucus because he couldn't focus.

"Alfie!" Morgana startled him, almost adding too many lion fish spines to his cauldron. "I'm sorry." She laughed a little. She then helped him pick up his scales that she'd over turned. "We have a surprise for you."

"What is it?"

"We can't very well tell you, can we? Just meet us in front of Professor Valmont's cabin after class."

Alfie managed to finish his potion satisfactorily within the time given. He, Hugo and Majavir made their way to the Care of Magical Creatures' professor's cabin/classroom. He, Lily and Morgana were waiting outside. The six of them made their way toward the Forbidden Forest.

The late afternoon sun set long shadows along the tree line. It gave the forest an even more verboten appearance. The shadows reminded Alfie of fingers reaching out to pull him in.

"I'm not sure how I feel about a surprise in the Forbidden Forest." Alfie said to on one in particular.

"Shh!" Professor Valmont whispered. "You will see soon enough, mon amie."

The small group trekked deep into the forest. The canopy was thick and their way became darker and darker. Just as the children started to pull out their wands to lumos, they came to a clearing. The canopy had opened up to a dusky sky and a silver sliver of a moon reflected in a small body of cool fresh water.

Professor Valmont put out his arm to stop the group from going further. "Shh. Watch." Within a few moments a pure white unicorn mare trotted into the opening. Her legs were long and muscular. Her mane flowing, shown like so many strands of silk in the wind. From her forehead, a silver horn grew straight and sharp. It caught the light of the moon and was mesmerizing. As she lowered her head to eat a tuft of clover and thistle a tiny baby unicorn appeared from around her long legs.

There was a collective sigh from the group. The girls covered their mouths, eyes wide with fear that they would scare mother and foal away. Professor Valmont gave them a reassuring smile. He put his forefinger to his lips. The baby's gate was cute, but not unsure. He had his mother's pure white coat and silver mane and tail. On his forehead was the tiniest little silver stump. He shook his silver mane and stomped his hooves. The sweetest little neigh could be heard as his mother nudged him with her nuzzle. The foal bit at the grass, mimicking his mother, then trotted around her playfully, trying to drink his mother's milk. She teased him a bit and finally gave in as she drank from the clear water.

Professor Valmont escorted the children back to the castle in time for dinner. "Professor," asked Lily. "Do you think that she knew we were standing there? I was sure that she would run!"

"Of course she knew we were there. Unicorns are magical creatures. Plus they are highly intelligent." He laughed a hearty half giant's laugh. "This was a case where YOU should be more afraid of THEM then they are of you!"

"Really, Professor?" Hugo asked.

"Oui, petite rousse! Yes! They don't need wands to make their magic." He turned to look at them. "The lesson that we learned this evening is a lesson in respect. You were respectful to that beautiful creature by giving her and her young peace. In return she allowed you to witness a beautiful moment between her and her son." He smiled and nodded with satisfaction. "Let's go."

"Professor?" Alfie tried to keep in stride with his long legged teacher. "Thank you."

"De rien, mon amie." He rustled Alfie's hair. "You're welcome."

At dinner, Alfie was feeling well enough to eat a full meal. He and his friends told the others about seeing the unicorns in the Forbidden forest that evening. There was some jealousy but everyone was happy to see Alfie smiling again.