Quidditch Team Tryouts

Alfie (with Pennyfeather on his shoulder), Hugo and Majavir make their way down to the Quidditch pitch. Slytherin and Gryffindor are holding their tryouts together. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw will have the field later.

When Alfie emerges onto the Quidditch pitch for the first time looking up at the towering goal posts and stands he became breathless. As he got closer he can see the players on broomsticks flying back and forth, throwing a ball between them. "Bloody brilliant!" he whispered to himself.

Green and burgundy streak across the sky above the stadium as Alfie craned his neck to keep up. The three sat in the grass and watched as different students switched out attempting to win a coveted spot on their house team.

"So, these blokes, they try to get the ball into those rings." Alfie observed. "And that fella there tries to stop them." He pauses to watch further, squinting in the sunlight. "And these wankers with the bats... they try to hit everyone with that ball!"

"That's pretty impressive, Alfie." Hugo exclaimed. "Having never seen a Quidditch game before."

"Or even heard of it before!" Majavir chimed in.

"I just can't make out what the little fellows are doing." Alfie pointed out two really fast, older students who seemed not much bigger than he. Like jockeys, chosen for their small size and agility.

"Oh, they're seekers." Hugo smiled. "They're the fastest, most important players on the team."

Majavir explained: "The seekers job is to find the golden snitch." He makes a little fluttering sign with his fingers. "Whoever finds the snitch wins 150 points for his team, the game ends and that team wins."

Hugo continued. "You have to be really quick and have a keen eye."

"And not be afraid of rogue bludgers!" Majavir joked.

Alfie laughed nervously at this point. Then he pointed up at the air above the pitch. "Is that it?"

"Is what it?" Hugo asked.

"The snitch. I think I see it." Then suddenly the snitch moved swiftly toward the other end of the pitch. Alfie's hand moved quickly in its direction.

"There's no way you can see that from here!" Majavir exclaimed.

"Now it's down there." Alfie shouted. Just as Hugo and Majavir noted where Alfie was pointing they saw that the two seekers were both diving toward it's current position.

"Bloody hell, Alfie!" Hugo whispered. "You really can see it, can't you?"

"Well, yes." Alfie looked confused. "Can't you?"

Hugo shook his head no. Alfie looked to Majavir, who was also shaking his head.

Suddenly a familiar voice boomed from behind him.

Pennyfeather squeaked loudly as Alfie, Hugo and Majavir turn around to find Morgana and two other Slytherin girls walking up behind them.

"So you fancy yourself a Quidditch player, mudblood?"

"Why don't you stuff it, Goyle?" Hugo asks.

Morgana turns her head disdainfully from Hugo and continues to address Alfie. "My father was a famous Quidditch Player. Beater for the Vratsa Vultures out of Bulgaria."

"That's nice Morgana." Alfie is nice, regardless of Morgana's cruel name calling. Once upon a time witches and wizards like him were stigmatized and at some point were targeted, having their wands taken away and the children removed from Hogwarts. Alfie being new to this world is unaware.

"My father..." Morgana continues but is interrupted by Hugo.

"Your father was a death eater!" Hugo yelled. There was a collective gasp within the group.

Alfie gasped, too, although he had no idea what a death eater was. "What's a death eater?" He didn't know what it was, but it didn't sound very nice.

"They were followers of the most notorious dark wizard of all time." At this Alfie looked quickly at Morgana. "Your father should be in Azkaban like the rest of them."

Morgana turned away from them Her long, wild hair whipped about her shoulders. Alfie noticed that she was shaking; her fists clenched. Her friends locked arms with her. One of them looked back at them scornfully. Hugo just shrugged his shoulders at them.

"That wasn't very nice, Hugo." Alfie watched her walk away.

"Alfie, the death eaters killed witches and wizards who opposed Voldemort!" Majavir exclaimed. "They didn't believe in mudbloods being allowed to have magic."

"My Uncle Harry says that while Goyle's father was in school, he would torture other students." Alfie gave him and incredulous look. "It's true. While Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic were under Voldemort's control, students were made to torture each other for detention. Goyle and his friends actually enjoyed this!" Hugo seemed exasperated.

"Sounds really bad." Alfie said. "But that doesn't mean that she's all bad." Alfie's mood changed. He pet Pennyfeather on the head. She nibbled his fingers. He didn't seem to notice. They stayed and watched the rest of the trials, even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff before retiring to the Great Hall for dinner. The sky outside was dusky and it was reflected as such in the ceiling. There were lit candles floating in the air and the house tables were filled with babbling students excited about the up coming Quidditch games.

"In the magical world, Alfie, not everyone is your friend." Alfie, Hugo and Majavir talked to Lily about what happened at the Quidditch trials. "It's pretty impressive that you could see the snitch! You should try out next year."

"I don't think so Lily." Alfie stared at his friend with wide eyes. "I'd rather keep my feet right here on the ground!" Alfie raised his cup in a gesture of cheers before taking a huge swig of pumpkin juice while his friends all laughed at his cheekiness.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Dear readers, 

  There are two things that you may be wondering about. First one, of course is Goyle. In the movies he was killed in the fiendfyre that destroyed the room of requirement. But if you remember, in the book it was actually his friend Crabbe who started the fire and was later consumed by it. The actor who played Crabbe in the first six movies, Jamie Waylette, was unable to finish the film franchise because of legal troubles. 

Well, it just so happens that the actor who plays Gregory Goyle, Joshua Herdman, in real life has a son named Morgan. So, of course I'm going to name his daughter Morgana! Also, it is a very appropriate name considering the character Morgana in the King Arthur legends!

Well, dear readers. I hope that you enjoyed this chapter. If you did, please remember that stars don't hurt fingertips and feel free to add the book to your library. I won't keep you waiting for updates, I promise!

Yours truly,

Brittany_storm