Chapter XIV

Brave

Chapter XIV

"What do you think you're doing?" Owen growled as he approached Vic, and punched him hard in the face.

"Whoa!" Zach and Gray snickered with amusement.

"That was awesome!" Gray whispered to Zach.

Claire heard this and looked at her nephew with disapproving look in her face. She didn't say anything. As much as she wanted to tell him that whatever he saw was wrong, she couldn't help when a smirk crept upon her lips. She saw him spit blood from his mouth and massaged his jaw, and that, somehow gave her pleasure.

Although Owen gave him a good deal of punching, still Vic displayed something that annoyed the hell out of Claire. She never liked the guy, from the very start. "Why are you here, Vic?"

"I'm using the raptors against that thing out there!" he spat.

"No, you're not doing that!" Owen spat back, face to face with the chubby security man.

"This is gonna happen, whether you're in or not!" Vic replied, with the same amount of annoyance.

She saw that Owen was pissed. His jaw tightened, but she could clearly see that he was thinking of giving in.

"Asshole!" Claire muttered, looking at Vic Hoskins.

--

Sam's heart was beating fast. All their bags were on the same place where she left it, with her daughter sleeping on it. On that moment, the absence of the little girl scared her. She approached the security guy she asked to look after her daughter.

"Joe? Where's Sarah?" she asked him, her voice quivering with fear.

Joe just looked at her and the bags. If it was possible, her heart beated faster than what it was doing just couple of minutes ago. Her eyes stung, tears threatening to fall.

"Where is she?" she whispered to herself.

"I didn't notice her getting up" Joe confessed.

"We need to look for her! Please help me, please?" she pleaded.

The man nodded, seeing fear written all over her eyes. She started pacing around the room, looking for Sarah. And Don. She knew he was still on the island before the Indominus escaped. She had a hunch that he would be making a move and take advantage of the situation.

It's already getting dark. There were still no boats available to get them off the island, so she knew that Don could be just hiding somewhere. He could be in the warehouse. She wouldn not let him take her daughter away from her.

--

"If we're to do this, we're going to do this my way. Agreed?" Owen informed the men in front of him.

Sitting on the table in front of them, was a map of the island. They were figuring out how to corner the Indominus Rex. He laid out the plan and told them how his raptors behave. They just listened quietly and nodded from time to time.

"And please, try not to hurt my girls" he said with concern.

He knew, if worse comes to worst, the velociraptors he came to get attached with were gonna get hurt. But that's not the only thing bugging him. He hadn't heard from Sam since that afternoon. He knew she'd be safe. He saw her getting in the Control Room. But with whatever happened earlier, he doubt that everything's alright between the two of them.

With all that's been going on, he realized that he had fallen head over heels for the woman he was keeping company and secured for the past couple of days. The mission that they were about to go to didn't guarantee their safety. He knew that anything could happen. He could get injured. Worse, he could get killed.

With that in mind, he left the group and fished out his cellphone, while they get ready. He dialed Sam's number, with hope that she'll pick up the call. To his luck, it went to her voice mail.

"Hi, Sam. I just called to let you know that we're going after the Indominus Rex. I am not sure if I'll be able to make it, alive, after this. I just want to let you know whatever I feel. I love you. I've been in love with you the moment you tried pushing me away. Please take care, you and Sarah. I hope I could see you and talk to you after all this, if ever I'll survive. I love you" he sighed after.

He didn't know he was holding his breath. Putting the gadget back on his pocket, he reached for the shotgun he put down against the steel door and put the strap on his shoulder. He approached the men, who were all waiting for him and got on his bike.

--

"You two, stay here" Claire said. "This is okay, this is safe" she muttered to herself.

Zach and Gray just stared at her. "You put your seat belts on," she panted.

The two boys looked around, looking for the seat belts but found none. Zach shrugged his shoulders to her.

"Just... just hold hands." She stated, then closed the doors of the truck. She made sure she locked it tight.

Claire could see that Gray was scared. Though Zach was trying hard to put it all together and look tough in front of his brother, she knew that he was scared as well. The only thing she could do was not to let them get out of her sight, to make sure they're safe.

She got in front of the truck, on the driver's side. She turned on the tablet and watched Owen, and the rest of the deployed men, from the surveillance camera. She prayed that they would be alright, that he's going to survive.

--

Not knowing what to do, she tried to look for her mobile phone, but it wasn't in her pocket. Not even in her bags. Sam was already hysterical and she wanted to call Don. She still had his number on her phone. She also was thinking of calling her parents. Most of all, she wanted to speak to Owen.

"Dr. Blundell, we still couldn't find your daughter" it was Joe.

"I think I know who she's with right now. Is there a way for you to tell me the records of the guests here?" she asked him.

He shook his head, "No, I'm sorry. But Control should be able to."

"Okay, I'm gonna go there. Could you look after my things?"

"Sure, I will." Joe smiled with pity for her.

Sam ran towards the Control Center. She was sweating and she felt dirty but she could care less. All she wanted to do was find Sarah and get off the island, like her initial plan.

--

Here's Chapter 14, you guys. Sorry for the wait. I'm not really satisfied with this. I think I'm having a major writer's block, with all the things going on in my life. But I hope you'd all bear with me. I'd make it up on the next chapter.

07/27/2015