Brave - Chapter VIII

Brave

Chapter VIII

"I could've convinced Claire to kick that so-" Owen stopped as he looked at Sarah.

Sam shook her head, "You've been cursing in front of her since we were on that river, you know?"

They were in his office again. Instead of going home, they decided to stay there for the night. Sam's ex-husband, who's name was Don, might have found out where the two lived. If ever he's not gonna find anyone there, he'd probably go to Owen's bungalow, as it was just sitting right next to Sam's. He figured that Don would not think of the paddocks as he didn't even know Owen's name. If ever he'd go there, Barry and the other guys' quarters were a few meters away from them anyway.

"I know. I'm sorry" he sighed.

She shook her head again, "No, I should be the one saying sorry, Owen. You've got caught up with my mess. You're not supposed to be stressing yourself with whatever's gonna happen with my life, yet here you are, helping me out. Thank you."

He sat beside her on the cot placed in a corner, where Sarah kept on playing with her dolls. He held her hand "Sam, no need to thank me. I promised to protect you and Sarah and I'm don't plan on breaking it."

"Why are you doing this? You could just leave us, pretend like you don't know anything."

"Because I want to" he stared at her, there was something with the way he looked at her. Something she didn't want to discern. "You wann know why?"

"Uhm... I'm hungry. Let's go grab something to eat?" she stood and pulled Owen with her.

"Dodging the bullet, are you?" he laughed. Carrying Sarah, walked out with Sam towing behind him.

--

Chinese was their choice. While munching their meal, Sam couldn't help but glance at Owen, whenever she knew that he wasn't looking. She didn't like whatever he was making her feel. She felt secured, special and cared for. Something that she'd never felt with Don.

With her ex-husband, she always had been the one to run out to get things done. Like when she was still pregnant with her daughter, he was never there to accompany her with her prenatal check-ups. She'd have to make do to get enough money to buy her things and prescription. He didn't have a job. He stayed at home while she worked at studied at the same time.

"So, as I was saying earlier, do you want to know why?" it was Owen dragging her out of her thoughts.

"Know what?" she asked pretending not to know what he was talking about.

"Why I am doing this for you" he said.

"Because I'm your friend and we care for our friends" she grinned.

He sighed with a smile etched on his face. "I think you might know why, you are just trying to convince yourself that it's nothing."

"What do you mean?" she said, then she realized she asked the wrong question.

"You know I like you, right?" he said nonchalantly.

Her mouth gape open with what she heard. She never thought that he'd get straight to the point. She didn't know what to say. Not sure of what she was really feeling, she just kept her mouth shut.

"What? You're not gonna say anything?" Owen asked.

She just shook her head. "Hey! I just professed to you and you're just gonna keep quiet?" he laughed.

"What do you want me to say?"

He pointed towards her chest, then on her head. "Maybe what those two are saying right now."