Brave - Chapter IV

Warning: cursings...

Brave

Chapter IV

"Owen?" she gasped.

She stared at her back to see if her daughter's around. As much as she wanted her near, just ot be sure she's always safe, she couldn't let her see someone bleeding out. She sighed in relief as Barry pulled Sarah away. At least, someone's going to look after her while she would be doing her work.

"What happened to you?" she asked as she approached him.

He was trying his hard to hide the pain but he failed. She can see his eye twitching and he was grimacing. She smiled on his attempt and shook her head.

"You're telling Barry that it's a minor injury yet here you are, looking like you were ran over by a truck," she giggled.

"Hey!" he stood abruptly, holding out his right arm causing him to hiss in pain. He sat back down and clutched his hand on the wound tightly.

"I'm fine, you know" he rolled his eyes.

"Says the one with blood all over his body" she laughed.

He smirked, "Stop laughing, will you? Let's get this done."

She asked him to sit on the chair in front of his desk. She laid some sterile drapes over the table and asked him to put his hand atop it. She took out all her surgical instruments such as kelly clamps, sutures, needles, anesthesic and scissors. Wearing her gloves, she gave Owen one last glimpse before starting to work.

While suturing his wounds, she asked him "So, what happened back there?"

He shook his head, "I was in the paddock and trying to train them. They were doing great until Hoskins showed up and called my name out loud. The girls got distracted and one them, Charlie, got too close and tried to grab me with her claw."

"Oh my... This Hoskins guy, is he not aware that your raptors' behaviour is unpredictable?"

"Hoskin's a dick! He comes here everyday" anger evident on his voice.

"Why? What's he doing here? Is he working here or something?"

"No, he's with InGen" he answered briefly.

"InGen?" she asked curiously.

"They're behind creating these animals in the park. They think that since they created them, they own them."

"Don't they?" she asked.

He snapped his head to look at her. Not the right thing to say, she thought. "Sorry," she muttered.

Shaking his head, he looked down at what she's doing. "It's alright, you don't know. It's just that, even if they're responsible for bringing them back to life, it's not like they own them. They're animals, they can't control them."

"Control them?" she raised up a brow.

"That's what they wanted. They want to control them, use them as military machines or whatever they call it" he spat.

"These guys must be crazy!" she stopped sewing for a bit then went back doing it again.

"Retards! They don't know a thing. I'm with the girls for years now but I still can't predict their behavior."

"Why do you have to study their behavior anyway?" she asked.

"It's for research. We want to know how they think, how they interact with humans and stuff" he said matter-of-factly.

"And..." she tied a knot with the suture to secure it, "We're done!"

She put a bandage over the wound and put a cast, slinging it over Owen's shoulder. "You can't use this hand. Keep the cast on. I'll check you up tomorrow, so please be in my clinic after lunch."