II. Chapter 27 | Part 2 - Aubree

Start from the beginning

"Just like this," he whispered as he held her hands around Gwen's.

Swallowing, she nodded and exhaled a slow, controlled breath. "Okay."

"Close your eyes and focus on her. Feel her. Connect with her," he said as he pulled away.

Aubree closed her eyes and tried to do what he told her, even though she had no idea what he meant. Connect with Gwen? Did he mean her soul? How?

Gwen's hand was cold, sticky with blood, but she tried not to focus on Gwen's exterior and instead turned to look within Gwen.

She wanted to help them. Wanted to bring Gwen back.

If only she knew how.

"Focus, Bree," Gavin said across from her. "Slow your breathing and clear your mind. You have to open yourself up before you can expect to make a connection with her."

She did as he told her, taking slow deep breaths until he spoke again.

"Good. I can feel your presence. There's still a barrier up, and I don't want to alarm you, but we don't have time to work on bringing that down. I'm going to force the connection, okay? Stay with me and don't try to push me out."

She exhaled, slow and steady. "Okay."

Pressure began to build in her head. She furrowed her brows as it intensified. Unconsciously, she tightened her grip on Gwen's hand as she clenched her jaw.

"Relax, Bree, and let me in."

Easy for you to say, she wanted to mutter but kept her mouth shut when a sharp pain ripped through her skull. It was gone as quickly as it had come and she felt something different. She couldn't wrap her head around it, but it almost felt like there was another presence within her.

[I heard that,] came Gavin's voice, only it was in her head.

Holy sh—

She balked, but a calming sensation wafted over her.

[Relax, Bree. I know this is all strange and new to you, but we have to hurry. Papa's trying his best, but she's slipping out of his grip,] he said.

A sensation enveloped her body, embracing her. She inhaled and exhaled before relaxing and nodding her head. Okay. Lead the way.

[Let your mind go. Your soul knows what to do.]

She didn't know how to let go of her mind. She didn't meditate. Still, she had to do what Gavin told her to bring Gwen back. Gradually, she could feel an almost sinking sensation, as if she were slowly being dipped into a pool of water. A faint throbbing sensation pulsed around her and before she could ask what it was, Gavin answered.

[That's her heartbeat. It should be twice that speed.]

Shit.

[Yeah.]

But she's not dead yet, Aubree reminded herself and Gavin.

There was still hope.

A strong pull tugged her deeper into the abyss as the fluttering of words, foreign words, whispered around her. The voice was Stone's, the strong presence she felt pulling her forward was Stone's, and the power that surrounded her was Stone's, filling her with energy, yet pulling energy from her as well. The give and take swirled around her, lifting her, making her feel stronger, though lighter at the same time. The presence she felt with him was weak, and dissipating by the second.

Gwen!

A burst of energy exploded from within her, reaching out to grasp a hold of Gwen's soul. To pull her back. To keep her from disappearing altogether.

Don't you dare leave us, Gwen!

She could feel Gavin's energy join her and Stone's, pulling on the metaphysical life-force, calling it back, and refusing to let it go.

[That's it, Bree,] Gavin said. [Together, we are strong. We are a family. Souls connected.]

Aubree could feel the energy building within her and around her. The beating of Gwen's heart began to increase. The strength of her soul slowly returning as her father's words continued to rumble low and even.

[She's coming back!] Gavin exclaimed in Aubree's mind.

Aubree wanted to squeal with excitement but instead, another burst of energy emanated from her, circling them and pulling them all tightly together into a hug of sorts. The energy within and around her began to pulse with life, with hope, with joy, and overflowing with love. It came from all of them, merging together, giving and taking, sharing in the emotions and celebrating life.

A groan rumbled through her as Gwen's body stirred with life.

The unexpected sound and movement jarred Aubree from her connection with them, throwing her out and back into the kitchen. Her eyes flew open as Gwen's hand clutched tightly to the rolling pin between her pressed palms. Another rumble of pain vibrated through her as she returned from consciousness.

Relief flooded over Aubree as she held Gwen's massive hand. Her eyes pooling with tears as she choked them back. Thank God!

Looking over Gwen's covered body, she caught Gavin's gaze with his usual small smile. Her heart fluttered as she returned the smile, as if sharing a secret together.

"Thanks, Aubree," he whispered.

Really, she thought, I should be the one thanking you.

She couldn't have made the connection if he hadn't helped her to, even if it meant he had to force himself through her. She'd do it all again in a heartbeat if she had to.

"You did good," Rosemary said behind her before she placed her hand on Aubree's shoulder. Despite her shirt being soaked with blood, her hand was clean. "You guys had me worried there for a bit, but you did it."

Looking up over her shoulder, Aubree furrowed her brows. "How's her stomach? Will it heal?"

Rosemary jutted her chin toward the stitched up stomach. "In time, it will. Might take her about a week to be completely healed."

"What about..." Aubree hesitated, pursing her lips as she lowered her gaze. "Will she be able to have children still?"

Rosemary squeezed her shoulder, drawing Aubree's gaze again. She smiled, though there was a hint of sadness behind it. "She should. Everything was still there. Intact." She sighed. "Thankfully."

"Rose, could you escort Aubree back to the sunroom while we try to dig the bullet out of her back?" Stone asked in a soft, rumbling voice.

Aubree looked over at him, her heart clenching as he remained in the same position as before, only his hands on Gwen's head were rubbing small circles into her temple with his thumbs.

"Of course," Rosemary replied.

"Can't I stay?" Aubree didn't want to leave now. What if Gwen suddenly slipped under again? She wanted to stay by her side.

"Please?" Stone looked up from Gwen's head, his eyes pleading with her to understand.

Her heart fell, but she nodded, giving in. "Can I come back later, then?"

"Yes."

I guess that will have to do, she said to herself as she suppressed a sigh and pulled herself up from the table.

----

Dedicated to reckless78angel 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2016*