I. Chapter 1 | Part 2 - Aubree

Aubree had to leave.

As much as she wanted to stay in Chicago, she finally managed to land a job in her boyfriend's city of Minneapolis, Minnesota. She had been urging Dan to find a job in Chicago so they could finally move in together, but even she knew how far-fetched that sounded. There simply weren't any decent entry-level jobs in the metropolis. The last recession hit the economy hard and it was still struggling to recover.

It was time for her to step up and make the move herself.

After months of applying, her efforts finally paid off and now she was on her way to the twin cities and taking the next step in their relationship.

The drive strained her eyes as she made her way west. Driving in the evening wasn't the smartest move she'd made, but she was eager to get there early and surprise her man.

Dan wasn't expecting her until tomorrow afternoon. She couldn't wait to see his face when he opens his apartment door to find her standing there.

Best of all, she couldn't wait for the sex.

It had been months since her last visit. She was deprived; she could only imagine how horny he must be. She could just envision running her fingers over Dan's lean chest, feel his hot breath against her neck...

The grinding of pebbles under rubber diverted her roaming focus from the daydream and back onto the road. Taking a deep breath, she cursed at herself for getting sidetracked for a split second.

She met Dan at the end of her third year in college at a party. He had finished his final semester and they had flirted carelessly with each other all evening.

That summer had been one of the hottest she had ever encountered. She never dreamed she could ignite so much passion into another person, never mind receive the same amount of pleasure and excitement from a man's touch.

They were inseparable. When autumn came, she went back to college while he searched for work.

She remembered the call she had received a month before Christmas. He had finally found a job, but it was in Minneapolis.

Crushed was an understatement of how she felt upon hearing this news.

They met for dinner that evening, and she had anticipated him breaking up with her. She never expected that he wanted to pursue a long-distance relationship where they could only visit each other a couple times a year.

From then on, they had gone about their daily lives as normally as they could and set aside an hour every evening to chat on Skype.

It had been painful at first, but she gradually got used to it.

Now, she had finally landed a job close to his apartment and she couldn't believe her luck. Things were finally starting to turn around for them.

Darkness had fallen an hour ago, and the stretch of road had entered a dark, unlit wooded area.

She tightened her grip on the wheel as she focused on the road.

When the radio signal fizzled out, she played around with the dial until she could pick up another station.

Squealing, she cranked the volume up when she found one of her favorite songs playing. Belting out the lyrics at the top of her voice, she almost didn't hear her phone ringing from her purse next to her.

After turning the volume down, she reached into her purse and began digging blindly through it while she kept her eyes on the road.

Although she was expecting it to be Dan, she wasn't surprised when she saw who was calling. She pressed the phone to her ear. "Hi, Mom."