Chapter 10: On the road to Helm's Deep

Gandalf rides off through the stable, Gimli and Legolas move out of his way. When I turn around I see two men trying to seatle down a dark brown horse. I head towards them but Aragorn gets their before me.

"Fæste, stille nú, fæste, stille nú. Lac is drefed, gefrægon. (Fast, be quiet now, fast, be quiet now. A battle is stirred up, they heard.)" the horse starts to calms down, "Hwæt nemnað ðe? Hm? Hwæt nemnað ðe? (What is your name?'Hm? What is your name?)"

"His name is Brego. He was my cousin's horse." Eowyn says.

"Brego? Ðin nama is cynglic. (Brego? Your name is kingly.)"

____________________________________________________________________________________

Aragorn, Gimli and I are riding with the king. Legolas is a scout at the front. Two of the soldiers are riding in front of everyone. I decide to join Legolas. We then hear a noise. He runs up the hill and I ride up it. Legolas shots something and then he runs down to I don't know were.

"A scout!" he yells at me while finishing off the orc.

"Wargs!" I yell to the king, "They are attacking us." the women and children scream and head the other way. Eowyn goes with them.

"All riders to the head of the column." King Theoden instructs his soldiers. Legolas jumps on with Gimli and we all charge towards the wargs. I take out my bow and shot at the orcs. After what seems to be a day of fighting, I see Aragorn stumble off a cliff tied to an warg. When all the orcs are dead I head towards the cliff were he feel off.

"Aragorn!" Legolas shouts. I see the evenstart on the ground, I take it and put it in my pocket. Legolas and Gimli interrogated the the orc who made Aragorn tumble off the cliff, but he died.

"He's...dead. He took a little tumble off the cliff." a dying orc says. Then Legolas and Gimli realize that I was looking over the cliff.

"Get the wounded on horses. The wolves of Isengard will return. Leave the dead." I hear king Theoden says. I mount up Thalion and ride with the rest of the men.

*****************************************************************************************************

We arrive at Helm's deep. We are cantering up to the castle. Their are so many people here. We all stop.

"So few. So few of you have returned." Eowyn says.

"Our people are safe. We have paid for it with many lives." King Theodren tells her.

We all head in. They gave us somewhere to stay. Gimli is talking to Eowyn. Legolas and I are in the room. I am sitting on a bed thinking about Aragorn.

"You miss him?" Legolas asked me.

"Yes." I answer, "but as a friend." I stand up.

"Same." he says. I get up and give him a hug. He is surprised at first but relaxes.

"Do you really think he is dead?" I asked him.

"I don't know." he answers, "but if yes we need to keep going without him." he says while lifting my chin so that we are looking in each others eyes. My eyes are teary but his piercing blue eyes comfort me. We get closer to each other. We kiss. After a few seconds we part. We look at each other and smile. We head out of the room to see the others.

Once we are outside, I see someone riding in the far distance. When the rider arrives at Helm's Deep I realize that it is Aragorn.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"A great host, you say?" Theoden says.

"All Isengard is emptied." Aragorn says.

"How many?"

"Ten thousand strong at least."

"Then thousand?"

"It's an army bred for one purpose. To destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall."

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall." he orders one of the guards.

We are all getting ready for the war coming. I am changing form a dress to my battle outfit and take my weapons with me.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers." Aragorn says

"Most have seen too many winters." Gimli states.

"Or too few." Legolas explains, "Look at them. They're frightened. You can see it in their eyes." All the men look at them.

"Boe a hyn neled herain dan caer menig. (And they should be three hundred against ten thousand!)"

"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras. (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras...)" Aragorn argues.

"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer! (They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)"

"Then I shall die as one of them!" he said mad.

*****************************************************************************************************

I hear a horn that sounds familiar.

"That is no Orc horn." Legolas states.

"Lothlorien elves!" I mutter to myself and I run out of the room.

"How is this possible?" the king says. I recognized the elf at the front. I t was Haldir.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell." Haldir says, "An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance."

"Haldir!" I say while running down to him and hugging him.

"Alexa! Good to see you." he says and I stand besides him.

"Mae govannen, Haldir. (Well met, Haldir.)" Aragorn says coming down the stairs and hugging him. Legolas walks towards us, greats Haldir non-verbally and stands beside us.

"We are proud to fight alongside Men once more!" Haldir said proud.