07 ━ MEMORIES PT.2

Start from the beginning

Melanie's pout had Andrea struggling to choke back a laugh. "Well," she muttered to Steve, "she's not exactly wrong."

Andrea had heard the horror story from Bucky himself. After losing a game at the fair (where Bucky had taken her for their date) Melanie had managed to flirt her way into getting a prize anyway.

As much as Andy was impressed, Bucky wasn't exactly giving Mel points for effort.

  As the Barnes man gave her hand a squeeze, it was clear that he didn't approve of Andy's remark. Andrea conjured a patient smile as she looked back at Melanie, whose green eyes had just caught sight of Bucky's hand in hers.

Instinctively, the Jones girl found her grip tightening. Melanie intimidated her in the sense that she could have any guy she wanted. The only problem was that she wanted Bucky.

  Melanie tore her eyes away with obvious effort, "Anyways, I just wanted to ask if you'd like to go to the bar with me and the girls." She gave the Barnes man a dazzling smile, framed by cherry red lips.

She was the picture-perfect, all-American girl with that smile. It was as if she hadn't even noticed their clasped fingers. The vicious bitch.

Andy turned back to Steve. In a not-so-subtle manner, she made puking motions with her hands. The gesture didn't go unnoticed by Bucky, who made a point of pretending not to notice.

However, he struggled to hide the grin forming on his lips. "Sorry, Mel. I'm already getting ice-cream with my girl and Steve," Bucky gave the blonde an apologetic smile to accompany the words.

  Melanie's bright expression quickly fell into disbelief. Andrea's heart jolted in her chest. She glanced up at Bucky, unsure if he'd really said it out-loud. What did that mean?

One of the girls accompanying Melanie grinned at the pair, "I saw it coming a mile away."

  Andy had to smile at that, but her expression fell as Melanie gave her friend a sharp look. It was a wonder how she still managed to keep anyone in her circle. Her attitude had been poor since high school.

Bucky detached his hand from Andrea's. A brief lack of contact before he pulled her in closer by the waist. The brunette felt her heart give another one of its infamous lurches. She was a flustered mess.

  Though, Melanie looked less than impressed. She pursed her lip, hand going from twirling her hair to her jutted hip. It was a gesture both Andy and Melanie knew would make someone look twice.

  Still, Andy tried not to look too smug when Bucky remained oblivious. She could tell that Mel was resisting a sneer, her upper lip twitching ever-so slightly. Melanie gave the Jones girl a once over. Her expression of disgust was infuriating.

  "Well, when you get bored of that, come find me. You know where I'll be." Melanie's voice was sultry and inviting. If she was aware of the blatant rejection, she didn't show it.

  Andy simply couldn't help herself. "Oh, sweetheart," she pouted, "I know you're not used to the concept, but let me educate you in the art of rejection."

Bucky tensed, but didn't stop her— not that she needed permission. Humbling asshole's had always come easily to Andrea.

  She continued, "You clearly need it, considering you don't know how to take a hint. Should I spell it out for you, too?"