07 ━ MEMORIES PT.2

Start from the beginning

  As they continued on, a thought suddenly occurred to Andy. It wouldn't be long before Bucky and Steve departed and what would she be left with then? Who would be there for her when she needed these moments of reprieve?

  Most importantly, what would she do if the dreaded letter came to tell her the worst?

  Deep in thought, Andy couldn't help the way her grip tightened on Bucky's arm. Thinking about the future was hard, but it was a risk she couldn't ignore. Her uncharacteristic silence didn't go unnoticed by the Barnes man either.

  "You okay?" He asked, voice low enough so that Steve paid no notice.

  Andrea blinked, lifting her head to smile. "Never better," she replied, expression a little more genuine as she looked at him. Bucky stared back at her, eyes swimming with concern.

When he looked at her like that, Andrea wanted to confess everything to him. It just wasn't the right time. She didn't want to ruin this day over such trivial worries. They would both be leaving soon and she wanted their last few days to be good and worth remembering.

  "Really, Buck, I'm alright," Andy insisted. She tried to put as much conviction behind her voice as she could.

It wasn't just that she wanted Bucky to believe it, but she wanted herself to as well. Though, he hardly seemed convinced. Still, Bucky said nothing as he entwined their fingers and gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

  "You need to learn to stop worrying," was all he told her, raising their joined hands to kiss the back of hers.

  Andy grinned, "You're asking the impossible, Buchanan. Besides, if I didn't worry about you two idiots, who would?" She accompanied the remark with one poised eyebrow.

  Bucky hummed as he considered her words, "That is true." His agreement drew out a laugh in response. Her distress faded into comfort and Andy was thankful for that.

  There was something that came with being around Steve and Bucky that always made her feel better. For a while after, the three continued in peace. Only, it was short-lived as a voice spoke up from behind them.

"Hi, James."

  Andrea and Bucky turned together and, upon the sight of Melanie Greene, Andy had to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

  Of course it was her. Only one person in the entirety of Brooklyn had so much audacity. Andy and Melanie had been neighbours for years and shared a mutual dislike for one another. It had been that way since they were young.

  Though, it had only really spurred to life because of Andrea's closeness with Bucky. He'd taken Melanie out on one date and she had despised Andy since. Melanie was an easily jealous person. Andy simply couldn't bring herself to care.

  Besides, whatever Bucky had with the Greene girl was exactly what it seemed— short-lived and over.

  As Bucky made polite conversation, Andrea turned to Steve, nose wrinkled with disgust. Steve wasn't one for outward dislike, but there was no masking the grin on his lips. For the most part, the distaste for Melanie was a mutual feeling amongst them.

  "You know," Melanie began, her tone catching Andy's attention. "I was wondering when you were gonna talk to me again. For a while, I thought you were ignoring me."