Chapter 85

In the last chapter I opened myself up to questions from readers. I got comments and many messages all week, but there was one question I got multiple times. 

Q: Where is Kate from?

A: I purposely never mention where Kate is from. The reason is because I want readers to be able to insert themselves into Kate's character and experience the story how she would. If you imagine Kate as yourself, you can picture her being from wherever you are. 

Thanks for the questions this week! If you are ever curious about anything else, please message me and I'll be happy to answer you. 

____________

{Kate's Point of View}

Late afternoon was approaching and I had remained in bed all day. I wouldn't have to return to work until the sixth of January, and I hadn't bothered making any plans during my free time. I didn't have the heart to see anyone or do anything. I was still devastated Harry never came to Yumchaa like we planned. He didn't even send a message to explain.

I tried my best to push the memory of stupidly staying at Yumchaa alone for nearly two hours out of my head. I had kept thinking he would walk through the door at any moment, but he never did. Each time the bell on the door rang as people came in, I would whip around in the hopes of seeing Harry, but was always disappointed. I left after the tea had long turned cold and I started feeling humiliation when the woman working behind the counter cast pitying looks at me. I left Yumchaa feeling totally let down.

It was the last day of the year. The past twelve months had been some of the most trying times of my life. I had suffered a head injury, lost my memory, gained a boyfriend, adjusted to fame, fell in love, had a long distance relationship, broke up with the love of my life, got a new job, and had traveled the world. Each day had shown me adventure and had given me strength. Despite all of the bad that plagued me during the last part of the year, I had grown so much as a person. I had learned so much about love and life and myself that I would never wish any of it away.

Except the being in love part.

This year had also introduced me to a new type of pain: heartache. I had fallen in love so hard that when I hit the ground, I couldn't get up. I wasn't with Harry, but I still loved him. For the New Year's, I hoped to either get Harry back or get the love to leave. I couldn't handle another year of being a slave to something I cannot control.

____________

From my bedroom, I heard a heavy knock on my front door. I waited a few moments, hoping the person would leave. After nearly a minute, the person knocked again. I sighed, pulled the duvet off me, and started down the stairs. By the time I reached the front door, the knocking was forceful and constant. I unlatched the lock and opened the door.

"Why didn't you answer the door sooner?" Eli stared down at me with intense eyes.

"Hello, Eli," I said coolly.

"Answer me, please. I thought maybe you were hurt or sick. I've been calling you."

"My phone is turned off."

"You know not to do that."

I rolled my eyes, "Sorry."

"What were you doing?"

"I was in bed."

"I see that," Eli cast a disproving look at me.

I looked down at my appearance and cringed internally. I wore leggings and a baggy t-shirt that likely belonged to Harry because it was too big and I didn't remember it for myself. I pushed my messy hair off my shoulder and tilted my chin up confidently. "Why are you here?"