Chapter 57

As always, thank you for reading. 

{Kate's Point of View}

Rain drummed on the windows of the car loudly, overpowering the sound of music playing on the radio and car horns sounding in the traffic around us. Harry sat beside me staring out the window absently. I was aware of the fact that he wasn't touching me; it was unusual for Harry not to hold my hand or caress my thigh while we rode in the car. Peter adjusted the rearview mirror and caught my eye. He gave me an apologetic look. I wasn't sure if he was apologizing for the traffic or for Harry's noticeably unusual behavior.

We were on our way to the concert venue. Traffic was worsening the closer we got as fans made their way to the stadium. We had nearly half an hour to be there, but Peter kept muttering something about making it in an hour. I felt uncomfortable in the car. Harry had barely spoken to me all day and the thought of spending another hour trapped in a car with him while he was in this mood was unbearable.

I hardly saw Harry the two days before the first London show. He had made plans with friends to go out and I didn't feel like I was meant to join them and I didn't feel like stopping Harry. So I focused on work and busied myself morning and night putting the battery life on my laptop to the test as I monitored social media accounts for the band and typed emails ensuring every detail of the first concert was sorted.

The rain had turned into a downpour by the time we arrived at the stadium. Peter pulled up along the side of the building where a small fleet of similar cars was parked. A team of people wearing rain gear was waiting for our arrival. Peter parked the car and our door opened. A woman holding an umbrella waited. I slipped out of the car.

"Good afternoon, Kate," she smiled.

"Hello," I returned. I shifted under the umbrella to keep out of the rain.

"Good afternoon, Harry," the woman offered.

"Hi," he grunted. "Have you got another umbrella? I'm meant to be at those doors down there. Kate needs these doors."

Harry was due to be on stage already. He had a few photos to take with the other boys and then a small fan meet and greet before a final sound check and then dressing for the show. I had to be in the back area where the onsite social media team was arranging the workspace. We had to be at different parts of the stadium. Peter had parked in front of the wrong doors.

"We only have the one umbrella. I'll call about getting another." The woman removed a radio from her pocket and spoke into it. "Can I get another umbrella at door seven immediately?"

"Never mind," Harry waved his hand dismissively. "I'll just hurry."

"One is on the way!"

"Don't worry about it." Harry began walking out from under the umbrella.

"No! You have to take photos when you get inside. You won't have the time to fix your hair. Just wait for the umbrella," the woman urged.

Harry looked over his shoulder, "Give the umbrella to Kate."

"Harry, it's fine," I pleaded.

"Listen to your girlfriend!" Harry visibly tensed at the word as the woman spoke. "Just take the umbrella."

"I said give it to her," Harry seethed. Hedidn't wait to turn back around. He pushed forward in the driving rain and weall watched helplessly as his shirt became heavy with rainwater and his hairgrew limp.    

____________

The workspace we had set up was rows of computers including several large monitors tracing online trends and a live feed of online activity from fans as they posted content relating to the concert. I was responsible for posting updates on the One Direction Instagram account. It was a smaller job, but Ruby had given it to me after noticing the stress I was under.