We Like People, Trust Me

It's a pretty common belief that introverts try to get away from huge social situations because they don't like to talk to people or interact at all. Or maybe that they just don't like people in general. Let me be one to say that this isn't true.

Some people are definitely more shy or anxious than others. They're afraid to speak because they're not sure what people will have to say to them.

Someone may have the best ideas out of every kid in class. He may need more encouragement saying them, but it definitely doesn't mean that he is stupid or weird.

Some people don't talk, but it's not necessarily because they're afraid of what others will think, or don't have anything to say at all.

Just because people don't always talk doesn't mean they don't like to.

When it comes down to it, everyone values human company, no matter how much. We like having friends. We like being able to talk about things that are important to us.

Some people like large groups better, but some of us are better one-on-one or in small groups than in large groups. I can say that's true about me for sure.

The best way I can explain this is that introverts, or at least I, do like social situations, but not large social situations. Some people like to go to huge parties or invite over 12 friends. That's cool. But when I invite my friends over, it's usually only 3 or 4. If I were given a choice to either hand out at a party or with a small group of people, then I would pick the small group of people.

It's easy to look at the quiet kids in class and picture an empty head or someone that shies away from social situations because they don't like you or your friends.

It isn't like that. We aren't stuck up or snobby. We don't dislike people.

In fact, I like people. Most people at least. Because let's face it, some people suck.

I like having friends and being around my family. If someone was to lock me in a room for a long period of time without any human interaction, I'd go nuts. If I have my friends over to my house to chill out for a while, I'll feel kind of sad and lonely after they leave.

The weird part is that in my experience, I won't always look forward to going to a huge party or social event, but nine times out of ten, I'll end up genuinely enjoying myself anyway and feeling kind of sad when it's time to go.

On the other hand, when I find out that some big social event or party has been cancelled at the last minute, I may feel sad, but a small part of me also feels relieved. Yes, I know, that's terrible. And I always feel bad for feeling relieved, but hey, I can't help it.

I've worried in the past that this wasn't normal and that I was some kind of sociopath who didn't get along with people. But since, then I've realized a few things.

I would never hurt another person who hadn't done anything to me. I like to volunteer. I like to put a smile on someone's face when they're having a bad day. I love giving people gifts, especially ones that I've put time and effort into. I care about my friends and family, and I will defend them from anyone that tries to hurt them.

I may not be a big fan of crowds and parties. I may want/ to stay home sometimes, and I may not always talk that much. But do I hate people? Do I even generally dislike people? No, I don't.

You are the person who decides how you treat people. Whether or not you like people is shown by whether or not you are a decent, compassionate person who treats others like a delicious ice cream cone. Okay, maybe not my best comparison, but "treat others like you want to be treated" is cliche.