Chapter six ~ Confusion

Start from the beginning

Thank god May was a strong girl. I wouldn't have survived it either.

Mom dropped her arms and reached over to David who sat next to May. She patted his cheek and then her eyes found mine. They narrowed with fresh tears forming. She was then pulling me into a bone crushing hug, kissing my cheek. "You're a brave girl, you know that."

I gazed into my mother's bright blue eyes, and held her stare for a second. Flashes of my child hood played in my mind. My mother befalls to be a very important person in my life and my sister's as well. She abides to be the toughest, brilliant person I could have ever known. She was always there when things went wrong and assuring us that nothing can tare this family apart. This was the woman who stood before me. The mother I cherished every second of my life.

"Barely," I murmured. Mother arched an eye brow. I sighed. "I broke down. I don't know what I'll do with out May." I confessed, my voice cracking twice.

"Shh . . . Let's thank the lord that she is here under our protection, safe and alive." Mother assured me. I nodded not trusting my voice. I sat next to Derek again as the gentle embrace of my mother wash through my body. I felt ten times better than I did last night.

"Hello . . ." a small voice cracked into the room. There before us, was May's friend Daisy. Her eyes were just like moms but with a tortured look lingering in her expression.

"Daisy," May spoke in disbelief. She tried to sit up but David pushed her down. He mouthed the words bed rest and she nodded. May relaxed next to David and returned her glance back to Daisy as she slowly walked towards them.

Something sort of dwelled in Daisy expression. Even when attempted to smile, this dead look would snap back in place like a rubber band or elastic wire. And the way she walked was almost as if she were dying of pain. May's eyebrows furred together, taking in Daisy faint appearance. She seemed dead. Just like May had seemed when I came yesterday morning. Now I have to second guess. What the hell happened to these girls?

"Where's Violet?" May asked concerned. Daisy inhaled a deep exasperated breath, her expression becoming blank like she was remembering the events of the night before.

"Can I talk to you in private, just us?" She whispered for us teens to hear.

"Mom, Dad, Mr. and Mrs. Sachar, Liz, may you give us teens a moment in private." May ask mother who was in deep conversation with Mrs. Sachar and Liz.

"Of course sweet heart, we were just about to fetch some coffee in the cafeteria." She inclined her chin at Dad who eyed us suspiciously.

"We will be back shortly, nor more then fifteen minutes." He said in firm voice. May nodded in agreement before they all headed out.

Finally we were alone to talk in privacy. I had a million questions to ask and I needed answers. And just by the way Daisy gazing at May, something was up. Something I couldn't lay my finger on. It was weird that neither of her friends showed up yesterday and now only one is here. People better start talking.

"What happened last night?" David questioned first.

"Violet's missing . . ." Daisy blurred out.

"What?" May cried. "But how," May said sitting up. This time she didn't let David push her.

"Violet and I were sitting on the patio talking and enjoying the night when we heard a loud crash in the yard. I started to back away, pulling Violet's arm when I saw the men approaching the side door of the house. But she didn't, she stocked towards them and said to get off the property-"