Chapter 26

"I hear the music is still playing."

Aditi looked up from her reverie and saw Purab walking towards her as she sat on the steps of the same library he had brought her to on their first date.

She smiled slightly and nodded to say, "Yeah. I thought it might get over but it didn't. He seems to be in his zone today."

"What's that?"

Aditi looked down at the box in her lap and said, "Oh yeah! Um...Madhura's mom made cookies. They're out of this world. I thought I'd bring some for you too."

Purab grinned and sat down next to her. As he took one, he asked playfully, "Are all the Guptes proficient in the culinary arts?"

Aditi shrugged and said, "Some people have all the luck."

Purab bit into the cookie and mumbled, "Oh dear...this is so good!"

Aditi nodded and agreed, "Right?"

Purab took another cookie and said, "Yup. So why do you look like someone just asked you to throw these cookies away?"

Aditi smiled sadly and said nothing.

Purab surveyed her quietly and asked shrewdly, "Is a certain member of the Gupte clan the reason for your reticence?"

Aditi bit her lip and asked, "How do you know?"

Purab looked straight ahead at the fairly empty street and said, "My mother told me that I've been very...ah...perceptive since a young age. Holds me in good stead, generally."

Aditi took a deep breath, steeled herself and said, "Purab...this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do."

Purab had this defiant yet understanding look on his face when he asked, "And why is that?"

Aditi looked down for a second and then looked back at him to say, "Because what I'm about to say will give you the chance to walk away from me and never talk to me again and I won't be in any position to stop you. And I hate that because even though we've known each other for a short time, I've grown rather fond of you."

Purab smiled ruefully and took another cookie. He said, "Too bad...I had grown fond of you too...ever since I met you."

Aditi looked pained when she heard that. Before she could say anything, Purab asked, "May I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"When did you meet Aditya?"

Aditi tried to remember the date. Her eyes widened as she recalled where she was just a few hours before she met him. She then sheepishly replied, "The same day as our blind date..."

Purab gave a half smile as he said, "Ah fate, you play such cruel games."

Aditi chuckled weakly. She asked, softly, "Is it okay if I call you some day?"

Purab took the cookie box from her and said, "Not today. Today, I just steal your cookies."

Author's Note: I know, guys! I know! Purab shippers: Spin off, perhaps? Please do read on, though! - S