Chapter 25: Time to Remember

"Freedom!" Beatrice screeched happily, shoving open the creaky door to Adelaide's cottage and dashing out into the broken, snowy land, ruffled red hair billowing out behind her.

The boys tailed her effervescent path, grinning brightly. Wirt thought he would actually run after the former bluebird for a short moment, all of his bunched up energy and emotions trying to escape into the world.

He saw the sun's rays beaming down on portions of the forest, departing the gloomy clouds in favor of mirth. Despite it all, the light stayed strong, fighting the darkness until his cold could not hold any longer, managing to keep her warmth through even the toughest of battles.

Beatrice came to a stop, twirling around to look at Wirt and Greg. She was smiling.

"Can we race?" the youngest of the group asked her, his eyes wide and excited.

"Why not?" The girl immediately took off again, exuberant laughter prompting the two to join.

Greg sped ahead first.

Wirt picked up his pace, staying one step behind his sibling to keep an eye out for him. There was a time where he would have ran faster than he did, solely for the sake of it, and another where he wouldn't have ran at all. But those times were past him.

o-o-o-o

"That was too easy." Beatrice stood triumphantly over the ridge created by the fallen tree, face flushed.

Greg and Wirt met her there, both panting from exertion. In Aberdale, they didn't do much running. Walking was easier on them.

"Woah, isn't this that tree I knocked over with my power?" the elephant-dressed kid asked after he caught his breath, patting its wet, rough bark. "Hey there, tree. I'm sorry for knocking you over. Are you enjoying the snow?"

Instead of answering, the frosty wood creaked under their friend's weight. Jason Funderburker croaked from his hiding place inside Greg's overalls.

"That's okay. I don't really like the cold either." He gave it a few more reassuring pets.

The older brother smirked, shaking his head. "Beatrice, you —"

"Could it be?"

The gasp of a familiar female made Wirt whip around. Standing before him, in the cast shadow of a leafless copse, was a girl. She was attired in a modest, simple green outfit, her black hair tied up in a white bonnet. Her pale face was turning a sentimental pink, eyes wide and meaningful.

"Lorna?"

"Wirt, it is you!" she exclaimed joyfully, bounding forward to engulf him in a hug and resting her head on his shoulder. "I have missed you so much. Auntie will be thrilled to hear you've returned."

He returned the affectionate hold, still somewhat shocked. Wirt's smile softened as he pulled away, watching her with gleaming eyes. "I'm glad to see you too."

"Aye. Hello, Greg," she greeted the child, who waved back, then turned to their companion. "And who are you?"

The redhead was fighting a scowl, irritation radiating off of her. "Beatrice," she responded tartly, offering none else.

"She's . . . a friend. She's been helping us to get home," Wirt said when Lorna shrank away. Youch. When did the mood get so sour?

"Nice to make your . . . acquaintance," the girl said softly, feeling rather awkward when Beatrice didn't say anything else. Lorna stepped closer to Wirt, glancing between him and the run-down icy house in the distance. "Please, follow me. We have much to talk about."