Discovering Sharlynn

April 24th, 2012, 1:07am, 33 Evergreen Road

The reflection in the ornate golden framed mirror stared blankly back at the reality of itself. I was asking it silently to reveal something about itself, tell me its story, its past, who it was. Who I am… I didn’t know.

From what I had been told by my new found ‘family’ my name was Sharlynn Heart and had been in a coma for exactly three months after my friends and I got drunk and decided to jump off the fig tree in Goldwing Park. The others broke their necks. I should feel sad, I should feel scared, and I should be grieving over the loss. If I could only remember who they were, or who I was. I had a well built family, a mum and dad, a younger sister and a rabbit named Elroy. But I couldn’t remember anything about them.

I studied the picture in the mirror, begging it to give me some hint to my past, to give something away. It was torturous, this whole knowing that I had a life but not being able to recall it. The boy merely stared back. He had some quality about him. When you looked at him he drew you in, gave you hope, made you feel as if you could trust him. As if with this person you could be happy and feel loved. The only thing I saw was a stranger. Silver grey eyes glinted under the white light, peering out from a roughly cut fringe. The sandy blonde hair was light and messy, refusing to stay flat on my head. The skin was light tan, showing off a perfectly cut jaw and bright white teeth. It looked too perfect to be real… too perfect to be human.  No scars mottled the skin on any part of my body, the only malformation a tiny tattoo of wings marking each wrist, so when put together the wings appeared as if they would on an angels back, each a perfect copy of the other. They were so small it I could cover them with two fingers. The black ink was strange looked strange against the smooth skin of my wrists. As I stared at them an eerie feeling washed over me, and a short burst of white light suddenly shot through my head.

“Ah!” I gasped quietly, gripping my temple. It only lasted for a split second, long enough for me to wrench my eyes away and back to the reflection of the stranger. As soon as my eye contact with tattoos faded, so did the feeling. The weird sensation was the last straw.

I couldn’t stay in this room any longer. I needed to be outside, to be somewhere that I could focus. I needed to find out who I was.

I shoved myself away from the smooth marble bench top, the lights fading as soon as I walked out of the room. As I passed the screen in the hallway it lit up, flashing the time in my face. 1:10am. Just perfect. Doesn’t look like sleeping was going to be on the agenda tonight, then again, sleeping for three months straight must do that to you. I smiled harshly at the thought, humour not really at the forefront of my mind. I should take a walk down to that park. What was it? Goldwing Park; can’t be too far.

With a shrug I bent down and scooped up the hoodie that I had discarded earlier, zipping it up over my bare chest. The black of it merged with the inky darkness of the night, hiding me as I slid silently down the stairs and escaped out the front door.

***

There was a weird feeling inside me. It was as if it was telling me to do something, to go somewhere. It was frustrating, knowing that I was being urged to take action, only not knowing what action to take.

My feet carried me away, thoughts ricocheting across my mind. It wasn’t just about my past. It was about me, now, right in this instant. About whom I was because it felt like there was something more to me. A realization trying to escape the cage it was bound so tightly in. There had to be some idea of the person I was, if I was even that. The mind games were growing old and I'd barely been in the world of the living for half a day. I couldn’t just wake up and not remember anything. I should at least remember one thing about my past life. It didn’t even have to be a big thing, just some small tiny detail that couldn’t be missed.

That’s what drove me to be here. At Goldwing Park, the place where two people died and I was brain dead for eighty-four days. This place had to have answers. I don’t why but I just knew it did. I just knew that something was going to happen.

Something important.