But before Jake could see the owner of the figure...

DING DONG DING DONG  the sound of the door bell startled Jake...

Jake sat up, his heartbeat fast, sweating, panting for breath....

I was that close to Nemesis....

That close.....

And it was just a dream......

Athena was outside Jake's apartment- repeatedly pressing the door bell.

"Come on Jake...open up...open up...."  she called out.

Looking around, Athena pressed the doorbell again.

Her mind racing on what kind of excuse is she going to tell him now, at this hour- why is she in front of his house.

Jake finally realized the doorbell ringing...he stood up not even bothering to put any shirt on, only wearing his boxers- opened the door, only to be surprised to see Karen/Athena on the other side of the door.

"Karen....w-what are you doing here? Are you alright? You look ....no come inside..come in...." Jake said.

Athena's eyes grew wide as she realized he is only wearing boxers. She swallowed hard, her mind in panic, her heart racing- does he normally open his door wearing nothing but that? Avoiding her glance on his body, she looked at his face...and smiled.

"I am okay....I will explain..."  she said, almost stuttering.

Athena quickly followed Jake inside and sat on the couch.

"Sorry for barging in like this at this time....I just...I just..." Athena said, still trying to put together her thoughts on what exactly she will say to him.

"Hold on....relax...let me get you a drink...okay?"  Jake casually walked to the kitchen not even covering himself up, still unaware of the awkardness of the situation.

"Here you go....drink this..." he handed a bottle of cold water.

"Let me just get my shirt..sorry..." he said, after realizing his almost naked. 

Athena nodded.

He went out wearing a white shirt on and sat opposite Karen/Athena.

"So tell me, what happened? Why are you here at this hour?" Jake asks.

Athena drank the water, puts it down on the table before saying anything.

She clears her throat.

Jake waited as he intently looks at her, wishing he could hold her right now and tell her that everything will be okay. He wants to wrap his arms around her and comfort her, console her.....but he knew he didn't have the right to do that........yet.

He smiled, a reassuring smile- if only by that, he can make her feel secure, because right now...he feels like she needed that...to comfort her, to protect her.

Athena stood up....and sat beside Jake.

Then she said....holding on to Jake's hand.....

Jake....someone is trying to kill me....I..I witnessed an attempted murder and they saw me.....they saw me...and they are trying to kill me....I don't want to die yet...I am not sure if they followed me...I ....I didn't want to go to the police...I am afraid..Can you help me get away from here? They're not ordinary criminals....They will kill me.....and if they followed me here....they might kill you,too...I'm sorry...I'm sorry for dragging you into this......can we get out of here...please...Jake..... I don't want to die yet...and I don't want you to die,either....not now, not now that I think......I love you.......she said and then cried hugging Jake.....her body's trembling....the tears flowing freely on her face.

I'm sorry Jake. I have to lie. I have to do this to save you. And Me. I have to do this.

Then gently, Jake lifted her chin towards her face- a smile on his face, his lips closed the gap between them, his other arm around her- then he claimed her lips with his. 

The kiss was gentle...comforting.....loving....

Athena closed her eyes. 

I'm sorry I lied Jake...but why do I feel like I didn't. Why does it feel like this is the right thing to do?

She pressed her hand on his chest and opens up her lips some more.....allowing him to kiss her more...much deeper.

After the kiss, they were both silent...only looking into each other's eyes.

No words.

Jake's hands held hers. Then they kissed some more.

She loves me, this woman loves me....and I know, I know I love her,too. I have to protect her. I have to protect this woman... Jake thought.

***Author's Note****

Don't forget to vote,comment and fan me....sorry for the late updates.....simultaneously updating stories :-)

Have a nice weekend!