"A few minutes early, though," he noted. "I'm glad you followed the computer instructions. I was completely against the idea of contacting someone so vaguely, but it wasn't really up to me how it was done."

I didn't respond.

I could only stare in an attempt to determine the man's features better. However, the dark of the night prevented me from getting a closer look. I at least knew he wasn't someone I recognized.

When I finally managed to regain control of my voice, the words tumbled out with no disguise of my fear. "Who are you?"

He took a step forward, causing me to tense in reaction. The streetlight hit his face and I finally caught glimpse of what he looked like. Dark brown hair, tanned skin, and a sharp jawline were the first things that caught my attention. But other than that, I was still too caught up in the moment to pay attention. At least from what I could tell, he looked younger than I'd expected - possibly even around my age.

"Rebecca Winters?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

My heart stopped at the mention of my name. I was overcome with a creeping sensation of dread. This was no mix-up. Whatever this was, it involved me.

"How do you know my name?" I pressed, ignoring the rock hard feeling in my stomach.

He paused for a moment, not helping the suspenseful dread I was feeling. "I work for an agency, we gather intel," he explained cautiously.

"An agency?" I repeated. "What kind?"

"An undercover investigative agency. We're a private organization that apprehends dangerous criminals. Usually by infiltration."

"Private organization?" I queried, knowing by that point I probably sounded like a parrot echoing everything he was saying.

"We try to avoid media attention and the public eye. It makes it harder for us to get our jobs done," he explained. "Think of us like the FBI or CIA, just more...under the radar."

I glanced at him with caution, blinking several times. I felt like I was in a weird dream or someone had drugged me unknowingly. None of this was making any sense in my head. 

"What does any of that have to do with me?" I asked, my eyes narrowing slowly. "Have I done something wrong?"

As soon as the thought had crossed me, I began racking my mind for any indication or activity I could have done to set an intelligence agency after me. I, of course, knew that was ridiculous since I'd never done anything bad. But in a moment that left me with such unease, I couldn't help but question my actions.

He seemed amused by my question, shaking his head at my obvious lack of knowledge. Though it was dark, it was like I could see the glimmer twinkling in his dark eyes. "No, you haven't done anything wrong. Quite the contrary, actually."

I waited for him to continue, no idea what else I could say without receiving an actual answer as to why I was here. My eyes shifted downward for a moment, remembering the phone I had in my pocket. I peered around, struck by worry when I realized just how dark the night sky had grown since I'd left the house. But I tried to reassure myself that I would be fine as long as I kept my distance from this stranger. I had my phone and could always use it if needed.

"We're in the process of recruiting an agent to work undercover for us," he informed me. His voice was deep but quiet enough that no one close by would likely be able to hear him. "We require someone for one of the cases we're working on."

Still in complete disbelief, I refused to the words coming out of his mouth. For all I knew, this guy was insane or this was some weird attempt at an abduction. Folding my arms together tightly, I took a step back away from him. "You're kidding, right?"