Westlake

Chapter 25

The mountain grew bigger as the sun sank closer to the horizon. We'd stopped to rest the horses before the final ascent up the mountain. The soldiers has sent up the huge tent, and Lily had ordered the soldiers to drag the correct trunk inside, and out emerged the huge, frothy, pink and purple ensample that I would wear into the marble city. It took a good twenty minutes just to figure out how the thing went on (despite Marie's constant instructions), and then it took another twenty just to get it over my head and make sure that I looked okay. I emerged from the tent after the insane ordeal to Henry smiling and Micah scoffing as Lily and Tessa both grabbed armfuls of fabric to make sure the dress didn't get dirty before it was supposed to.

"Well that dress sure is something," Micah laughed as we headed towards the carriage. I stuck my tongue out from him. "You look like a cupcake." He brushed passed me to mount his horse, leaving me grimacing as I tried to fit the skirt through the door of the carriage. Elijah appeared, stretching out a hand to help me up, doing the same with Tess and Lily. "You look fine, Del." He said without a smile.

I nodded taking a deep breath as I plopped down in my seat, Tessa and Lily sitting across from me, both sitting with the purple skirt in their laps. I blew hair out of my eyes in annoyance as the carriage moved forward. The ride was silent as a slight wind started the rattle the carriage, through the window, a mist began the settle over the landscape as the trees thickened and the world became darker. The only sound was the wind, rustling the leaves, no bird chirped, the horses' hooves fell silent as the paths turned to dark brown dirt, and the soldiers didn't seem to breathe. Suddenly, sounds of drums cut through the air, and my heart began to race as the pace quickened and they grew louder. And louder, until they had to be near us. We finally came to a stop, and after a few minutes, the door opened to Henry. He offered his hand to first Tessa, then Lily, and than to me. By the time I descended, quite ungracefully, the soldiers were long on their way, Lily and Tessa escorted by Elijah and another general. Henry and I stood, my eyes wide as I took in the lighted path up a long staircase. I knew at the top would be the town, across the lake would be the temple and mausoleum, the two were joined by Westover, the giant castle across the lake. The three formed a triangle, and the quickest way between the three was by boat. I didn't know what awaited me there. They could tell me I wasn't fit to rule, or that I might not actually be the Princess. Henry's wrinkly old hand touched my cheek, turning it towards him.

"Stop," He whispered, "You will be great, now take a breath, are you ready?" I turned, taking a long look up the earthen staircase, then back to him. I nodded, and he smiled slightly, kissing my forehead gently before offering his arm. I place my hand on his forearm, and I let him lead me up the stairs. The path was marked with fairy lights that wound up the side of the mountain. I didn't speak, mostly because no one else did. The only thing was the sound of drums. Eventually, the people in front of us crested the mountain top, disappearing from view. Then, I rounded the top of the mountain, and I gasped. The city stretched out before me, as much a part of the forest of the trees. The rising moon washed everything into shades of white and gray. The people stood, waiting for us. Already, the soldiers and Lily and Tessa were kneeling in front of citizens of all ages it seemed, all wearing long white robes, holding bowls full of some liquid. Two elder ones, one bald and one with gray hair that fell over his collar, stood with a younger boy in between them. He was about eighteen, with a crown of purple and pink wildflowers in his hands, like the ones sewn onto the long train of my dress. I looked to Henry, who looked more peaceful than I had ever seen him. He walked me forward, then he kneeled in front of them, pulling me down too. I didn't notice the crowds of people who had gathered to watch until I stood from that position. So I kneeled in front of the salt and pepper haired man, tilting my head back to look at him, the sound of drums finally dying away.