The Testimonial of Micah J. Thornbury Pt 2

Chapter 21

"So you're saying it matters not what these men saw, not what they did for their country, because the attack was a random act of violence?" A Count of some sort yelled from the audience when he was given the floor, to Lord Byron, who was arguing that additional aid could not be sent to Mythos, given the worsening situation in Calisto.

"You all refuse to listen!" Byron yelled. "Damn Mythos, damn the western edge. We must hold what we can. We can secure Calisto, secure the vital farmland around it, and finish this war." The room erupted in outrage and I grown, shaking out my cramping hand. I was hurrying to take down all sides, and the way I was slumping in the chair to reach the low table was killing me.

"Oh hush it!" I shouted, getting everyone's attention. "Lord Byron, your point has been made. And all of you screaming like children should correct your behavior or I'll have you all removed. You all will respect each other and the sanctity of this Court or so help me god..." I left it blank and turned to a servant. "Can you bring me a book or something to bare down on? Crouching over this table has my back hurting, and me looking like a fool."

The crowd was silent before Henry spoke, the servant coming back with a silver tray. I looked at it in disdain, but took it. Why couldn't she just bring me a book?

"Well, I believe the last testimony we have to hear is from the man of the hour. Micah J Thornbury." I stiffened as Micah stood, dressed in military whites, his hair combed handsomely out of his face. His shoulders had broadened in the last few weeks and he seemed taller. I knew he wasn't, but he looked so much more grown up than he had when I had left him. He made eye contact with me. His dark eyes swirling with emotion as he approached the wooden podium.

"Mr. Thornbury," Duke Thomas began. "How do you fare?"

"I'm well, your grace." He said, his voice strong and unwavering. "The wound is healing nicely."

"You were there on the day of the attack?" Henry verified for the record keeper.

"Yes, your majesty." Micah coughed and shifted slightly. I heard some giggling from the back, where a crowd of young ladies had gathered through out the day. He was a handsome soldier now, and there were few things the capital women loved more. "I went out on a patrol on my commander's orders."

"You were the first one to act when you saw the Rasholdians, correct?" Lord Mayweather asked.

"Yes." Micah responded. "I believe so. It's quite a blur, but I remember hearing the screams of the villagers and seeing the buildings on fire. The Rasholdian soldiers had attacked some time before we arrived." 

"What made you jump into the fight?" Elijah asked, making me look at him. Micah turned his head to Elijah, blatant disgust on his face. His eyes were hard and terrible, and Elijah's jaw set...hard... mimicking Micah's attitude toward him.

"I saw a woman, being run through with a sword. She was holding her son's hand, trying to get away." Micah answered, his voice breaking towards the end as he looked down. "I couldn't...just...let them kill that little boy." The crowd murmured sympathetically. 

"According to your colleagues," I spoke up, looking down at my notes, "You 'flew into a rage, attacking every Rasholdian in sight.' According to them, you 'acted as a true hero'."

"I can't attest to what my colleagues say..."

"Well you can attest to why." I snapped, cutting off the stream of bull he was about to spew. I taught him that word...attest. I'd read it in a book once, and Micah swore I'd made it up in my head. "Why did you act so impulsively, against direct orders?"