Chapter Twenty Six

'Grace

I want to start by saying I am sorry. I know what I am about to do will cause pain to my family. To you. But I hope as you read this, you will understand.

I have fallen in love. A love deeper and more consuming than I ever thought possible. As someone who never truly considered the concept as a reality, it is just as much of a shock to me as I am sure it is to you reading it. But I assure you, I am being truthful. And never have I felt so alive.

It is Michael. You were right when you said I cared for him. At the time, I could not see it. But since then, so much as changed. He has changed me, Grace. He has made me no longer fight against the idea of purity. I realize now it was only a childish reaction to something I felt I had no control over. He has made me consider life, a new life, and all the things I never thought possible.

I know you will immediately think we are damned, since I am human and he is pure. But that is one of the reasons I write to you now.

I am Fallen. This, obviously, you know. But because of that, we are not completely human. No matter our time here, the blood of Heaven still runs in our veins. If it did not, we would never be able to return home. And it is because it still runs in mine, that the Angel Rahmiel has granted us pardon. I am as Angel as Michael, and in this, we are allowed to be paired. He has declared his verdict to Father Josiah, a former messenger. All that is required is for Ariel to contact Rahmiel, to receive confirmation, and make the announcement to have it become pure.

This is what I need from you. I need you to go to Miles, and tell him what Father Josiah said. He knows of it all, and will get word to Ariel.

You may wonder why, then, I have killed myself. That is the other part to this letter.

I have not committed suicide. Outwardly, it would seem that I did so to avoid being betrothed to Micah. A harsh and unfair thing to him, I know, but I cannot risk being handed off to him. It would in turn forfeit my future with Michael, if I were bound to another.

I needed time, Grace. Time for Rahmiel' verdict to get to Miles, and then to Ariel. The Angel should return to Earth in the late morning, and will find Miles waiting for him once you have passed on this letter.

The Father provided me a potion, to suspend my life. It is only temporary, and allows me to appear as though dead. This will make my parents unable to announce my engagement, and give us the time we need for Ariel to grant us pardon. When I awake, and I will awake, I will be able to be with Michael.

Please get word to him that I have not left him. Please tell him to be patient, and wait for me. I will come back to him.

I know you are probably wondering why I haven't just come to you and told you all this in person. It is because my parents have basically placed me under lock and key. They know my distaste for their plan, and fear I will run. The moment I returned home tonight, they trapped me in this house. I know they do not mean to be cruel, and it is out of fear what they do. But I will not give up.

I know you will find this. You will know quickly that I would never have left without leaving you a note. Whether I took my own life or not, I would never do so without saying goodbye.

But this is not goodbye. It is merely a pause.

I will awake at midnight. Please be there with me.

I love you,

Harper'

Sealing the envelope closed, Harper was resolved. She knew this was her only chance to get word to those she needed to. It was the only chance left.

The moment she returned, her parents converged on her. Questions of where she had been, why she had left, and accusations of running away to avoid her engagement ran rampant. In turn, she had been unable to leave the house and get word to Miles of the Fathers message. They had taken her phone, and all forms of communication away. Never had they been so strict. Never had they been so panicked. But she knew it was all rooted in fear. Fear that she, their final card, would refused to be set on the table.

This was her only way.

Grace.

Pushing up from her desk, Harper moved towards the doorway of her room, sneaking into the hall and towards the library. The house was dark, as midnight approached, leaving long shadows along the floor.

Entering the library, Harper immediately went to the edge of the left bookcase. Here, she bend down on her knees, her fingers tracing along the planes of the wooden floor, searching.

When her finger tips found the loose board, she smiled. Pulling it up, she almost giggled at the items she found.

An old teddy bear. A locket. A photo of some boy band they had both declared love to when thirteen.

With a wistful smile, Harper slipped the letter among the memories, replacing the board.

It had been her and Graces spot since childhood. Where they hid messages. Where they kept their secrets. Even now, although not as frequent, it was still their way of passing messages to each other.

She knew the risk, but it was her only hope. She had to have faith that Grace would know she would never leave without a note. That she would never do that to her.

Quickly and quietly, Harper made her way back to her room. Here, she changed into long comfortable sleep pants, and a top. Usually, she slept in much less clothing, but somehow the consideration of these being the clothes of her death had an impact on her. For once, she would choose conservative.

Once ready, Harper climbed into her bed. She had already placed a bottle of tablets at her side, arranging them to appear as though the true cause of her 'death'. She had thought of every detail.

Well, almost every detail.

She was terrified. She knew that this was the only way, and yet, as she held the tiny vial in her hands, she had never been so frightened. The thought of actually dying had never really entered her mind. She was only seventeen. Wasn't it natural for those of her age to consider themselves invincible? That death would never find them until old and gray?

While she knew her 'death' was not permanent, it was still a frightening concept. She would, for all intents and purposes, die once taking this liquid.

What would it feel like?

Would see hear? Be able to feel?

Would she sense the grief of her family?

Would it be like a dream? Where she could look down on them and watch them mourn her?

None of these questions had answers. And in the end, none of the answers really mattered.

All that mattered, as what was waiting for her on the other side. When she woke, she would be absolved. Michael would be free. They would return to Heaven together, as one.

She would get everything she ever desired. Just as Father Josiah promised.

That was all that was giving her strength, as she removed the small cork stopper of the vial, and brought it to her lips. It was completely odorless, which she was thankful. She feared any scent might cause her to stall even further.

Closing her eyes, with thoughts of Michael in her mind, Harper tipped her head back, and swallowed.