Chapter Nine

The warm breeze of late March blew Harpers hair across her face. As much as the feeling annoyed her, she did not reach up and brush it aside. If anything, she relished the feeling, because it was coupled with a reminder that spring was on its way.

Not that it ever really got cold in Los Angeles. But having lived here all her life, she still felt the seasons change in their own unique way. The increased rain, the cooler temperatures. Today had been the first day in almost a week that the sun remained in the sky, barely a cloud in sight without the possibility of some kind of precipitation.

And because of this, Harper and Grace took the opportunity to enjoy the weather. The compound was quiet, as most individuals were either in school or work, leaving the streets almost barren. Both girls had finished high school, taking a year to consider their futures. This was something many young Fallen seemed to do; time between the monotony of high school, and the reality of a true human life. To go to college, or hold on to the belief that you would be absolved, and return home.

Harper knew she would attend university. What else would she do? She held no misconceptions that she would be returned to an Angel. That her human life here would end, and the fantasy life of purity would begin. She had never believed it, and so, continued to plan her mortal life.

Grace still held on to the hope, maybe foolishly, and she wouldn't have to worry about such matters. That the Fallen would be redeemed, and they would return to Heaven. She went through the motions of looking at colleges, of talking of options with Harper, all the while holding her tongue on her dream of it never being necessary.

But it was days such as this, with the quiet streets and the warm sun, that both girls were able to find a common ground. A balance between the reality they lived, with a touch of heaven as the scents and sounds surrounded them completely.

This was as close to purity as Harper felt they would ever come.

"How have things been around your place?" Grace asked, looking up to the sun from behind her sunglasses. The light t-shirt and jeans she wore made her look even younger than she naturally did, when matched with her short blonde hair and youthful face.

Harper shrugged. "As you would assume. Dad has been moody and locked away in his office. Mom has been running around like a damn chicken with her head cut off, trying to field everything for the council, run the community, and now, put together some 'human experiences' for the Angels." Harper snorted, as if the idea was hysterical. "I mean, it's just so stupid."

Grace looked down to the pavement, matching Harpers posture as the two turned the next corner.

"Well, you figure, its kind of your Dads head on the chopping block if this goes bad. So of course your Mom is going to be trying to run damage control with all the smaller things he usually dealt with, since all his attention is now on the newcomers."

Harper shrugged, letting the topic fall away.

The two continued in the direction of their homes, having meandered the streets for almost an hour. It was something they did frequently, a way to get away from the stuffiness of their homes, and the lectures of the elders.

"Have you seen them?" Grace asked.

"Who?"

"The Angels?"

Harper shook her head. "Not since the Gathering." With a moments silent thought, she huffed. "They seemed so uptight. So prim and proper, like they would never even consider being a part of this world."

Grace snickered. "Well, what would you expect?"

"I don't know," Harper admitted. "Michael was so confrontational. He masked it with his perfect manners, but the whole time I felt like he was mocking me."