Chapter 18: Mettaton Returns

Frisk looked at Mettaton standing on top of a flight of stairs, that seemed to lead to a balcony. He was standing there in a long, light-blue dress, with glistening snow flakes depicted on it. The sleeves were puffy, and the whole thing seemed to drift calmly in some artificial wind. 
      Chara stared at him in disbelief, but also in awe. His dress was fantastic, and looked beautiful, making Chara feel a little jealous. 
      "Could it be?" Mettaton said dramatically, his hand over his forehead. "My one true love?" He continued. He held onto his dress and began to walk slowly down the stairs, or rather, wheel down the stairs, as he didn't actually have legs.
      Chara looked at Frisk questioningly. She wondered who he was referring to, and started to look around to see if Mettaton was talking to anyone else, but she saw no one else.
      Suddenly, a spotlight shone brightly on Frisk, leaving Chara in the dark. Chara backed off, but not too far, just in case Mettaton tried something.
      Calming music began to play, with a soothing rhythm. Mettaton got off the last step of the stairs, and slowly moved to Frisk. Chara braced herself, but Mettaton stopped moving and looked towards a camera. He began to sing.
      "Oh my love~" He started. Chara noticed he surprisingly had a good singing voice, but he was most likely programmed to. 
      "Please run away~" Mettaton continued, making dramatic, but necessary movements.  
      "Monster King~"
      "Forbids your stay~" 
      "Humans must~"
      "Live far apart~"
      "Even if~"
      "It breaks my heart~" Frisk found herself enjoying the show. 
      "They'll put you~" Pink flowers began to fall from over head. 
      "In the dungeon~"
      "It'll suck~"
      "And then you'll die a lot~" Mettaton just shrugged.
      "Really sad~" Mettaton began to file and check his robotic nails.
      "You're gonna die~" 
      "Cry, cry, cry~"
      "So sad it's happening~" He pat Frisk's head, and pretended to wipe a tear away. The leaves stopped falling and the music stopped. Chara walked over to Frisk, as the spotlight faded. 
       "So sad." He said, plainly. "So sad that you are going to the dungeon." He moved away, pulling a remote with a giant red button out. "Well, toddles!" He pressed the button, and the floor below the girls opened,  and they fell through. 
       The fall wasn't large, as they landed on solid ground quickly. The surprise was still enough to cause Chara to stagger on fall on her butt. Frisk, on the other hand, was ready, and landed perfectly. 
       Mettaton rocketed down towards them. "Oh no! Whatever shall I do?" Putting a lot of emphasis on whatever. "My love has been cast away into the dungeon. A dungeon so treacherous, my paramour will surely parish!" Mettaton said, gesturing towards the right of the two.
       A colored tile puzzle flashed and made weird noises next to them. It has many colors, arranging from yellow, to blue, to red, to pink, to a light green, each with a different function.
      Chara could faintly remember this puzzle from an encounter with Papyrus way in the beginning of their journey, but didn't have a clue what any of the colors did.
      Frisk looked over and felt a twinge of fear, she couldn't remember what the tiles did, and she couldn't quite remember what happens if you can't solve Mettaton's puzzle.
      Mettaton began to talk about the puzzle, and it's functions. "Actually..." he stopped. "Wait a second, didn't we see this puzzle a long time ago?" Mettaton said.
      Both the girls became surprised. Mettaton somehow knew about Papyrus' puzzle.
      "You already know how it all works!" Mettaton laughed to himself. "Oh, and you better hurry, because if you don't get through in thirty seconds...." He snapped his fingers, and they made a metallic sound. Out of nowhere, a vertical wall of fire formed behind the girls.
      "You'll be incinerated by these jets of fire!" Mettaton yelled.        
      Chara became scared, but didn't want to show fear in front of Mettaton. She squeezed Frisk's hand tightly, and Frisk looked over to her, and smiled nervously. "We'll be fine." She said quietly.
      Chara noticed the doubt in her voice. Frisk had never sounded like that before, and it worried her slightly, but she knew Frisk was right. They would be okay, if they did it together.
      "Ahahahahahaha!! ... ha... ha.." Mettaton laughed, but realized he was on TV and composed himself. "Ahem. My poor love! I'm so filled with grief, I can't stop laughing! Good luck darlings." 
      The music started to play again, but faster, while Mettaton began to sing. A timer started to count backwards from thirty, and Chara ran towards the puzzle with Frisk in hand. 
      The girls struggled to figure out the puzzle. It seemed to be made to where it was impossible to solve. Every time they stepped on a tile that shot them forward, they got shocked or sent back, and at one point, they swore they could smell lemons. Eventually, the timer ran out, and the girls weren't even halfway through the puzzle. 
      "That was rigged!" Chara yelled, as all the tiles became grey, and the fire walls came closer.
      "Ohhhh! I'm so sorry darlings! Looks like you're out of time!" Mettaton laughed, as the walls inched closer and closer to the girls.