↠ 7 ↞

"I threw my heart in the fire. I've never fallen from higher. But I'm still here." - Jem and the Holograms

"Why are you prosecuting this case?" Magnus questioned Lydia who was now sitting on the chair beside the inquisitor.

At this point, Thea was so nervous, she was biting her lip so hard she could draw blood. This was all her fault. She was the one who agreed to bring Meliorn to the silent brothers. It's because of her that her parabatai is being put in trial when all Izzy was trying to do was save her from her mistake and Meliorn from certain death.

Alec noticed Thea's change in demeanor. He grasped one of her hands in his, placing a light kiss at the back of it. He can't really comfort her with words because he himself was nervous, but at least through his actions she knows he's there.

Lydia was silent for too long.

"Answer the question counselor." Madame Inquisitor berated.

"Because... the law is hard but it is the law."

"Lex malla lex nulla." Thea murmured so only Alec can hear.

Magnus rolled his eyes but was surprised when Lydia spoke again.

"But that doesn't make it right. We're trying someone for being compassionate. Thinking for herself. She saved a life that was being sacrificed for... nothing really."

"Enough Branwell." the inquisitor barked.

"No it's not. Looking at everyone here. A brother and sister who disagree on everything except for how much they love one another and how loyal they are to each other. Parabatais who would sacrifice more than one's life for the other. A man who took this case, pretending to want payment but who actually believes that the injustice towards his friends is intolerable. Loyalty, decency, compassion, love. These are the concepts that we should consider to decide the guilt or innocence of a person."

The inquisitor slammed her hand down on her arm rest. "These are not the concepts of the law. Enough of this nonsense, all of you!" She commanded.

"I agree. This case is nonsense." Lydia stood up, head held high. "I withdraw the charges."

Every shadowhunter, except the inquisitor, stood up and cheered. Izzy hugged Magnus before being pulled by her brother for an embrace of his own while Thea ran over to hug her friend Lydia.

"Silence!" The inquisitor demanded. "If you think refusing to prosecute excuses the defendant then you are terrible mistaken. She is guilty."

She stood up to her full height to address everyone. "The defense was correct. The Clave wants the Mortal Cup. If it is returned in 24 hours this ruling will be vacated if not, Isabelle Lightwood is to be stripped of her runes and exiled forever." And she hit the palette to affirm her ruling.

---

"Thank you for withdrawing the charges." Thea said as she hugged Lydia goodbye.

"We're even now." She started. "Besides, you were right about the Clave and there injustices."

"You were never in debt to me." Thea refuted while they held each other's hands.

Lydia smiled. "You saved John's life. That is something I never forgot."

Thea looked down and smiled sadly. She couldn't save her best friend's life.

"Hey, don't lose hope yet. I'll be in the Lisbon Institute if you need me."