Chapter 9: A day with her

Start from the beginning

As I was getting in the car, my phone rang. I saw the caller ID and I turned to Evelyn.

''I have to take this. It's for work.'' I said to her.

She nodded and I answered. Five minutes later and I ended the call feeling excited.

''Good news?'' Evelyn said when she saw me.

''Yes.'' I replied and started the car.

It was more than good news. It was great news. The surprise I was preparing for Evelyn was going according to my plans. A problem occurred yesterday, but they just informed me that it was fixed. I hope she will like it. I haven't make it up to her for the mistake I did when my parents came to our house yet. She may have forgiven me, but I didn't forget what I said to Owen.

''This isn't the way to our house, Alexander.'' Evelyn said.

''I know.'' I replied.

I took my eyes from the road for a moment to see her. She was looking at me with those sparkling curious green eyes. It seemed that she was trying to read my thoughts.

''Then, where are we going?'' she asked.

''To a restaurant for lunch.'' I said.

''Why? We could have gone home and I could have cooked something.''

''Let's eat out today. Okay?'' 

''Alright. But don't you have to go to the company?'' she asked after some time.

''No. I took the day off. I didn't know the time we were going to finish. So, instead of making appointments with clients and then having them canceled, I told my secretary to clear all my schedule. If there is something important that Owen can't handle, then I'll go back to the company. For now let's enjoy it.'' I said.

Not knowing the time wasn't the only reason I took the day off work. I wanted to spend time with Evelyn and that was why I decided to have my schedule cleared, too. Evelyn brings out of me feelings that I thought I had buried them deep inside me. The protectiveness, the possessiveness, the need to be with her were some of those feelings that I have never felt again since that time some years ago.

''It's fine with me. I'd love to spend a little time with you.'' Evelyn said smiling.

I drove to a small restaurant at the outskirts of Boston. My parents, my brother and I were coming here when I was little. You felt like home in this restaurant. That was why I always liked coming here.

''Shall we go in?'' Evelyn asked beside me.

I could tell that although she looked surprised, she was happy. I learned that Evelyn didn't need any expensive or grand to be satisfied. She only wanted something simple and sincere.

''It's beautiful and cozy here.'' she said as we sat at a table.

''Yes. I used to come here with my family.'' I said.

''It has the perfect atmosphere for families.''

''You know you are the first I brought here.'' I blurted out all of a sudden.

I don't know why I told her all that, but a little voice in the back of my mind told me that I should. I have never ignored that voice before and it was always right.

''Really? Then I'm honored and happy.'' she replied.

I could see in her eyes that she was truly happy if her sparkling with delight eyes were something to miss out. What I said was true. I have never brought any of my previous girlfriends here. Not even her.