25th Chapter ♣ Charles's Kitchen

Start from the beginning

Just as she was about to head out, a group of male students came and blocked her path. Valeriana stopped immediately and stared at all of them, a wave of confusion washing through her. They all held mocking smirks on their faces and the look on their eyes held malice. They all looked like mean bullies, and judging by the way they appeared, they probably were.

"Hey," the one on the middle greeted.

Valeriana cringed at the spiteful tone of his voice and took a step back. "What can I do for you?" she greeted back. Their intentions were unclear but it gave Valeriana a bad feeling.

"Don't tell me you don't recognize me."

"You?" She scrutinized his appearance.

This guy had chocolate brown hair that was cut around his shoulders. His brown eyes were sharp complemented by his caterpillar brows and high-bridged nose. His jaws were muscular and he also had slight stubble on his chin.

"I'm sorry. I don't remember you," she told him.

"Are you that stupid? You can't remember the face of the guy who you accidentally punched?"

"You mean—oh! I see now!"

"Are you still mocking me?" He growled.

"No . . . I'm sorry. I didn't really recognize you. I can swear on my dead father's name," she told him earnestly.

"Well, it doesn't matter now, really." He tucked his hands into his pockets as he sauntered forward with confident strides. "Because girl or not, you're going to pay."

"Listen," Valeriana said. "I don't want any trouble."

"Then you should've known not to oppose me."

"Are you some sort of coward?" she asked daringly, glowering at the direction of the arrogant jerk.

"What? You dare—"

"Why do you prey on people obviously weaker than you? If there's anyone I hate, it's somebody who preys on other people who they can overpower just to prove that they are strong."

Julian gritted his teeth and brought out his fists from his pockets only to clench them. "You . . . how dare you . . . I'm going to rip your throat out!" He stepped forward and placed a hand around Valeriana's neck, squeezing them tightly.

The human girl grabbed his wrists and prepared to wrench it off when suddenly, a familiar voice suddenly yelled out and stopped him.

"That's enough!"

Julian tore his hand off and harshly pushed the girl back, making her slightly stagger. Valeriana curiously followed the direction of the voice as she massaged the area where she was roughly handled. There, she spotted Charles walking down the aisle with the usual air of elegance and nobility around him.

Suddenly, the group of boys who looked confident a while ago were scared out of their wits. They took several steps back, wary of his sudden appearance.

Charles continued. "Do you not have any respect considering who you're talking so rashly to?"

The fourth-ranker gave no room for the poor guy to speak and went on with his lecture. "There is no excuse when disrespecting one of the Twelve," he said as he stopped right beside Valeriana with a displeased frown. "If you want to settle something with Valeriana, challenge her to a duel. Any other impertinent actions of yours will be punished severely without question."

"I'm—"

"Bow," Charles commanded.

"What . . ."