Chapter Twenty-Two

"God, I feel like we have been walking forever," Andrea says from behind me.

"We practically have been," Nik grumbles in response. "That alpha we ran into only let us stay on his land for a couple of days, and before that, I can't even remember when we last stayed in one place longer than a night."

Ethan looks over at me, and we share confused looks. To think that these two betas and their other pack members have been wandering for such a long time is inconceivable. Werewolves like to have a set territory where they can defend. To be wandering from place to place for over a year is something that is unheard of in werewolf populations.

Ethan looks back at the betas trailing behind us. "Where are you two from again?"

"Modesto, California," Nik says, reaching up a hand to wipe away some of the sweat from his forehead. It is hot out today. The temperature had to be somewhere in the high nineties, but that is not too surprising, seeing as it is the tail end of summer, the hottest part of the year.

"Why did your pack decide to wander up into Oregon instead of staying in California?" I ask, genuinely curious.

The betas exchange looks before returning their gazes to the ground. Nik clears his throat before he starts to talk this time.

"For the past five years or so, our pack has been struggling to stay together. We had too many alphas within our pack, more than what is healthy."

Andrea interrupts him. "Last time I remember, there were fifteen."

"Fifteen?" Ethan says incredulously. That many alphas in one territory is unheard of. At the most, some packs are able to keep order with five, but that is still a struggle. "How big was your pack?"

"A hundred and fifty, give or take a few," Nik supplies.

"Holy shit," slips out from between my lips before I can stop it. It is hard to even imagine a pack getting that big. My old pack was only thirty strong.

"How the hell did your pack even stay together. I have no idea how your alpha was able to keep that many pack members in line." Ethan slows down his steps, allowing the two betas to keep pace with us.

Andrea cocks her head to the side, shrugging her shoulders. "Well, she really didn't."

Nik nods his head, readjusting his pack on his back. "She just wanted the prestige that came with having a big pack but was unable to keep anyone in line. Even her closest betas didn't hold any respect for her."

"As soon as this whole apocalypse shenanigans happened, our whole pack went to shit." Andrea looks up at us, her brown eyes hard. "All the alphas were out of control, all fighting to have control of the pack. Full moons were brutal. Most of our omegas had to hide away so that the alphas wouldn't go around assaulting them, and if an alpha couldn't find an omega...."

Nik starts talking once Andrea trails off, a distant look in her eyes. "If an alpha couldn't find an omega before they went into full blown rut, they would start raping whoever they could get their hands on."

Ethan and I are struck silent. My mouth moves as I try to think of the right thing to say, but there never is a proper thing to say in a situation like this. Finally, my mouth seems to form one of the many thoughts going through my head right now.

"I'm sorry about what happened to you."

Nik looks up at me to give a shaky smile, but Andrea looks forward, not bothering to look in my direction.

"Well, after the first heat after the infected came around, our entire pack broke up. That night was one of the worst that we had ever been through." Nik's hands tighten where they are clenched around the straps of his backpack. "We decided to go with one of our classmates, Gonzalo. He was supposed to be in line to be alpha once his mother stepped down, so we thought he would be the best choice."