Chapter 2: Arrogant, unintelligent, fool

"Well, my grandmother had bought it hot off the press in those days, she was studying the English language, and thought by reading it she could improve. My grandmother had always kept her books well but mostly that one, for she owed her advances in English to that very book. After that, It was never touched. She had passed away, and my mother had found the book and held it dear, then one day, I was in high school, and she had given it to me. From there on I had held it dear and kept it safe." He smiled slightly, reaching out and grabbing the other end of the book, locking eyes with her. Only to find her look away.

"Why are you doing that?" He questioned, tilting his head, and squinting his eyes slightly.

"Doing what?" She asked quietly, looking to the book. He gently rested four fingers under her chin and lifted her head up to look at him.

"Not looking me in the eyes, Cara Mia." (my dear) he spoke. He was a loving man, she could tell. She had began to wonder if all the rumors she had heard of him being an angry bachelor were just that, rumors. She was lost for words then. Her mind had gone blank. The light of the fireplace that had been glowing, had lit his already perfect features. His eyes seemed to glow their bright blue in the slight darkness of the room.

"Aren't you going to answer?" He asked, his lips turning into a playful smirk.

"No. I am not." She spoke triumphantly.

"No need to get angry bambina." (Child) He spoke, his smirk still present on his lips as he removed his fingers softly from her chin.

"I am not a child!" She stated defensively. He laughed slightly.

"Oh but you are, Cara. (Darling) For you can't even look me in the eyes." He spoke in a slight whisper. She just shook her head.

"Just because I will not look you in the eyes means nothing. Simply nothing. It does not mean I am a child." She spoke defending herself. He stepped closer and whispered into her ear.

"Are you frightened of me, Miss. Drake?" She turned her head from him, not daring to answer, not even daring to look at the man standing before her.

"Ah. So that is why." He spoke stepping away with a smile.

"I'd prefer to go to my room now, if you'll excuse me." She spoke, turning slightly to walk passed him.

"And I prefer you stay here, you're not excused, Miss. Drake." He spoke, taking her tiny wrist in his large hand.

"Tell me cara, why are you afraid?" He spoke softly.

"It's not that I am afraid at all. Intimidated is more the word used to describe why I simply won't look you in the eyes." She said quietly. And that, was not a lie. For she was very much intimidated by this man. However, the reason she could not look him in the eyes was that she simply found him attractive. What sane woman wouldn't? But he was her boss, she couldn't look him in the eyes and let herself be attracted to a man like him.

"Ah. Intimidation. I see now. Dolce Bambina, (sweet child) you have nothing to fear, for I am just a man. Only a man." He spoke hoping desperately she would look into his eyes. Those words were what she was afraid of. Only a man. He was only a man, but he was a man that could make a woman weak at the knees. A man, she knew she could not fall for.

"See, and there you go again calling me a child. And you wonder why.." She trailed off, trying desperately to change the subject.

"Well to me you are only a child, you are small and your feelings fragile, your tongue weak when speaking, and your eyes still have a child's glow." He spoke softly. She felt as though he was insulting her. Her tongue was weak when she spoke? Her eyes had a child's glow?

"Well thank you plenty for the insults but I must be going to bed now, I have work in the morning." She spoke through her clenched teeth, as she moved away from him, and walking through the door.

"Buonanotte!" (Goodnight) he called from behind her, and in faint, she could hear him laughing. He was laughing at her?! What a rude man. Just because he was of a higher power than she, did not mean that he could insult her in the way he did. She wasn't a child. She wasn't.

The next morning she awoke with the thought of him calling her a child. Yes, even then it had not left her mind. She was angry.

After making herself presentable, she walked down the long staircase to the first floor. She found he and the staff eating in the dining room.

"Ah, so Mr. Billionaire dines with the staff?" She spoke in a posh accent. He looked up from his plate to her and smirked.

"Well, I am a generous man, and I would rather dine with my staff and make friends with the people who serve me and not be alone when I am old and grey. However, I see that the only one who is going to be alone when they're old is you, Miss. Drake." He smirked. The staff tried not to laugh. She scoffed.

"You Sir, are a unintelligent fool if you believe that statement to be true." She spoke coldly. He raised an eyebrow as the staff remained silent, almost in shock that a fellow member of the Knight staff had spoken to him as such.

"Is that so Miss. Drake? I am the unintelligent fool? Have you forgotten you work for me? Have you forgotten that I own your records? Madam, you never even attended college, and I am the unintelligent fool?" He spoke angrily. Her mouth was agape as she stared coldly at him, with a disliking passion. He simply stared back. She wouldn't dare insult him again.

"What do I do today, Sir?" She asked anger still being shown in her voice. He stood up and ripped a paper from the table next to him. He walked over and handed it to her gently. How was it that even when he was angry, he was still so very gentle? Her eyes scanned the paper. Fairly easy jobs, for a maid of course.

"Next time, Miss. Drake, I would remember that I am your boss, and you do not talk to a man that pays you as well as I do as such. But, you will learn Bambina. You will learn." He spoke into her ear, in which only made her want to strangle the man.

She did not bother to eat. Instead, she cleaned and cleaned. She was so very angry, often she would think to knock over an expensive vase by 'accident', however her conscience told her to do other wise. She would often mutter, unintelligent, fool, worthless, and arrogant bastard while she cleaned, all words describing her thoughts on him.

Once she had finished, she sighed. It was now dark and again, she had found herself in the study. She had thought about reading, but then decided against it, feeling as though she was too tired, too worn out, too angry. With that she headed off to her bedroom atop the stairs. As she walked passed his office there was no light being shone from beneath the doorway, signaling he had gone to bed early.