In Preparation for the Ball

[Unedited]

● Devin's POV ●

I had everything planned out. My hair, my makeup, and my nails, not to mention my dress and the other girl's dresses as well. Everything. Was. Planned. Out.

Emily would wear a silky blue dress made out of thin material that falls just below her knees. A dress I grew out of a while ago but never throw out because I didn't want to admit I had gotten a bit bigger.

AJ had the absolute pleasure of wearing an emerald green dress with quarter length sleeves, the hem flows down to rest slightly above the knees. A dress I fell in love with the moment I laid eyes on it at the boutique. It has an open back. I shrugged, if AJ has a tattoo she might as well show it off.

My dress a high neck beaded halter top in silver while the teal bottom half extended mid-thigh. A beautiful gown, that combined with the matching necklace and earrings, cost my family a hefty sum. My mother of course was not impressed, but my dad has never refused me yet, thus I got the dress.

What really stumped me was Spencer. Every time I showed her a dress, she either flat out denied it or looked at me with her chilling eyes as if to ask how I expected her to put on the dress. My emotions ranged from being offended to mild irritation. The nerve of her to deny one of my own dresses straight out of my collection!

It wasn't until we took a small trip to my family's mansion all the way to uptown New Rift and looked into my walk-in-closet did Spencer finally choose a dress. The simplicity of the dress she chose surprised me, but when she tried the dark purple V-neck dress, I could not formulate words to express how beautiful she looked as the dress' ruffles gently fell knee-length.

"Remember to put lotion on your legs every day leading up to the Ball." I said once I recovered.

"What's lotion?" I almost had a heart attack when she said that, her face full of confusion. I spent the rest of the day teaching Spencer my skincare routine.

The next couple days in preparation for the ball flew by, and before I knew it, the day for the ball finally arrived. Classes were canceled on Hollow's Eve due to it being a holiday and also the day of the Ball. I spent all day tying up the loose ends for the Ball.

First, I accepted a boy's invitation to the Ball, and made sure he knew the correct color bow tie to match with my dress. He's a New Riftian noble like myself, Charlie Hampton, his family has done a lot of business with the D'Moines in the past.

Before going into New Rift for my beauty salon appointment, I was appalled the rest of my team didn't know how to do their hair or makeup. So I did it for them. It was up to me to make sure the rest of my team represented us perfectly.

I brushed Emily's hair and added hair products until it was smooth and shiny, falling below her shoulders in gentle waves. Her once straw-colored hair now looks less like pieces of hay sticking up everywhere and now looks like a sexy dirty blonde. Next, I put her a sheer pink balm on her lips and framed her perfect baby blue eyes with a dark mascara, making them pop out.

"A natural look for a natural beauty." I said, stepping back to admire my work.

Emily shyly turns around to face the mirror. She touches her face as if she was looking at herself for the first time.

"T-thank you Devin. I don't even recognize myself."

"Awww," I said, hugging the tiny girl to my side, "you have always been this pretty, you just needed a little shinning."

She smiled sweetly at my comment.

"Where do you think you're going?" I called after AJ, who was tiptoeing away slowly.

"Who me?" AJ pointed to herself.

"Sit down." I said, grabbing her shoulders and forcefully seated her on top of the chair where Emily sat a couple seconds ago.

"Nothing too severe. I don't like feeling oily." She said, trying to control me.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up and sit still. I'm in control now." She gulped when I said that.

After a few minutes I stepped back and admired my work yet again. I skillfully applied cat eyeliner to both her eyes and penciled in her dark eyebrows, making her look as edgy as the boyish magazine models. I took a red lipstick and filled in her lips, and gave her black earrings. I grabbed her hair into a high pony tail, putting her tattoo on full display. Suddenly I felt like she needed a leather jacket to complete her look.

"I look awesome." AJ said, admiring her dark features in the mirror. "You did good Princess."

I rolled my eyes, waving her off the chair for Spencer.

My brush hovered over Spencer's porcelain skin, not sure if I should even bother when she was already has a beauty to be reckoned with. Instead, I settled with a plum colored lipstick and a dark blended eyeshadow. I pulled her black hair up into a messy bun, several of her dark hair tendrils fell in ringlets around her pale face.

"I like it." She offered when I was done with her hair and makeup. I shrugged.

"There's not much I can do you're already annoyingly pretty enough, it's not even fair."

Doing everybody's hair and makeup almost made me late to my own salon appointments, but I told my driver to floor it and he did, so I ended up being right on time to get my hair, nails, and makeup done. My beauty stylist masterfully braided my hair into a long beautiful side fishtail.

I went back to school, put on my dress, and waited until my date showed up.

"That's him!" I told the girls. "Let's go downstairs and meet him."

We went down the stairs, and there he was, waiting in his dark suit. His dark hair brushed against his forehead by the wind as he gave me a teal rose corsage.

"Thank you." He nodded, stealing a glance over to Spencer, who paid no attention to him.

"Yeah sure. Should we get going then?" He offered me his arm and I linked my arm through it.

"Let's go." We walked all the way to the big building that housed the grandiose ballroom. The doors were already held ajar and both the students and other important guests were milling about.

I grin as my teammates, my date, and I walk through the big ballroom doors.

.

.

.

.

.

.