Chapter 20

Gabriel's POV

"...she isn't anywhere on the base and neither is Cedric. Also, her car is gone." Farah confirmed my suspicion.

Anger welled up inside me and I let out a fierce growl as I grabbed and edge of my desk and flipped it over.

"Fuck!"

Santana's POV

"He what?"

I obviously hadn't heard him right.

"He was there to kill you." Lucas enunciated each word.

No way. "Why? Why would he want to kill me?" Gabriel had never mentioned that we meet before. And I didn't remember meeting him at all.

"The supernaturals are very..." He paused and tossed his head side to side. "'superstitious'. They believed that female Guardians are cursed. Kind of like how pirates believe having a woman on board will cause bad luck." He explained as he walked to his chair and sat down behind his desk. I remained standing.

"How did the curse affect us?" I asked when a frown. I remembered Cedric and Gabriel telling me how there had not been a female Guardian in 500 years but they never told me why, did they?

"The legend is that the girls were easily manipulated by an evil spirit which would cause them to become temptresses and the spirit led them to seduce the male Guardian.  And legend is if Guardians mate out of lust not love, the male looses his power to the female. Upon losing his power, the male would become evil and turn against supernaturals. The biggest massacre in supernaturals history was caused by a scorned Guardian." He explained.

"What? Did you read that in a children's book?" It sounded heavily fabricated.

"That's the legend, Santana." He said with a shrug. "After the massacre, female Guardians have been extinct so I suppose it could be true but if you ask me, I think the men just got jealous because the women were more powerful than them." He smirked.

Gabriel told me that Nana had stopped the killing of female Guardians when I was born but if that was true, why would Gabriel have been there when Nana 'died'? We he really there to kill me? Because he thought I would be a temptress? I allowed myself to sink into the chair opposite Lucas.

"Tell me what happened." I demanded.

"Well, when you were born, naturally they wanted to kill you but your grandmother who had already betrayed us and was leader stopped them and cancelled the decree that girls should be killed. Not everyone was happy about it especially considering that she was in fact a treacherous hunter, so your much loved Gabriel was not too happy about keeping you alive." He leaned forward putting his elbows on his desk.

"They approached the hunter leader, Sid. Then I was just an advisor, so young and eager. Gabriel and some young fool came and asked us to kill the baby Guardian Santana because she posed a huge threat to both our worlds. Sid had been giving me heat about Shelly joining the supernaturals and your situation was not making things easy for me. Gabriel was insistent and wanted to keep the situation a secret but we are always one step ahead. Plans were made to eliminate the threat yet Gabriel thought we were still negotiating. The night he came for the final decision was the night Shelly died."

"How did I...?"

"I made a decision. My mother or my daughter. I decided mother was a lost cause and if I took mother out of  daughter's life, daughter would never know about supernaturals or at least she would love hunting before she knew about supernaturals. I protected the family business just like Gabriel wanted to."