Chapter 2

The next morning was spent frantically running around and trying to put my life together. I had woken up late, which meant no morning shower. No morning shower meant ponytail. Ponytail meant time for teeth brushing, which was a huge plus considering my breath smelled like a bathroom garbage. I rummaged through my new closet to find something professional for my first day, I was working as a receptionist after all. I settled for a fitted pant suit, but traded one of my button down shirts for a lacy white tank top. The tan slacks fit snug on my hips. I looked like my mother. I mentally gagged. I pulled my hair back into a slick ponytail that practically gave me a face lift, then vigorously brushed my teeth. I grabbed my purse and hopped into my truck, stopping to think about what a funny sight it would be to see a small woman jump out of this big old thing in front of such a business-y workplace. I typed the law firms address into my GPS and still managed to get lost.

I was ten minutes late to the orientation when I burst through the doors and asked the front desk where it was being held.

"I'm here!" I yell, breathing hard, black heels in hand. Somewhere along the way, one shoe slipped off in my late chaos, so I had to carry them. They were all seated in a conference room facing a bright white board; well now they were all facing me. Shocked by the interruption. An older woman with grey hairs spread sparsely throughout her head was standing at the front, hands clasped in front of her. She looked angry.

"Thank you for gracing us with your presence." She stated coldly. "In the future, tardiness is something we do not tolerate here, it will lead to termination," she addressed the room and I, "What is your name?" she asks turning back her attention solely on me.

"Summer. Su-summer Howard." I stutter,  bothered by her obvious up-tightness.

She plastered a fake smile on her face. "Please, have a seat Ms. Howard."

I shuffle to the nearest seat and sat quietly, discreetly shoving my heels back onto my feet. My face and ears were extremely warm; probably red. I was mortified. I turned my Attention back towards the front were the woman was standing.

"Anyways, before I was so rudely interrupted," she starred pointedly at me. "You all will have a special place here and a lawyer that you will work directly under. Some of your lawyers might not need you as much, but try to make yourself useful, if not with them then someone else. Some of you will be working with very important clients. Respect those above you and remember, it is good to have friends in high places. You each have name tags up here at the front, we expect you to wear them at all times until you receive and ID badge. We should have them by the end of today, you can pick them up from the front desk on your way out. We also expect you to have them on you at all times, they will let you into elevators and secure rooms. Please come up to the front, put on your name tag then exit through the double doors to your right. We have placed signs that you all need to follow. Each room will have one of your last names taped to their office window; that is your mentor and boss. I wish you all good luck on your first day, may you all flourish here." She said gesturing to us. What a sweet speech coming from such an old bitch. I walk up to the front of the room and find my name tag. It was located next to a-

"Annabelle Ging." A voice said thrusting her hand out to me. I studied her while shaking her hand. She had long blonde hair curled to perfection and a pink blouse tucked into skinny khakis, she looked cute. It made me very conscious of my unwashed hair and almost slutty tank top.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Summer Howard." I say.

"Obviously." She stated smirking and pointing to my name tag that I had just attached to my shirt. I smack my head.

"It's way too early, sorry. My brain isn't functioning." I say with an apologetic smile.

"Oh god, tell me about it, have you seen my bags?" She said motioning to her face. I laugh.