Chapter 4

It reeks with dragon breath, and the dragons seem to be getting antsy. Some are even growling at our presence. Kids already start putting dibs on what dragon they want to tame. "Now don't be alarmed." The teacher is talking quieter now, trying not to startle the huge menacing reptiles. "I'm going to give you your protective gear. Slip them on over your clothes then wait." Everyone is grabbing an outfit of the shelf and struggling to get them over their clothes. When we are all situated we wait silently. "Okay, I'm going to call one of you up to the front and your going to put your hand out like this:" She gives an example and stretches her hand out in front of her. "Then I'm going to take each dragon out of their stalls. Don't show any fear, then which ever dragon chooses you to be its master is the one you will tame and train." The kids who made dibs on the dragons are now complaining. "After we are done picking out your dragon you will feed it and get used to it then it will get used to you. Someones hand shoots in the air. Ms. Scales nods to her as if saying 'you may speak'. The young girl Says quietly "Why can't we choose the dragon we want?" The teachers looks at her, "The dragon has to be comfortable in the relationship. If it isn't well....Lets just say things won't come out good." I wince at the thought of a uncomfortable relationship. Dragons have been known to kill their masters if not satisfied with them. The teacher slowly walks up to each stall and takes the dragons by their harness and leads them to the center of the room where they stand in a line. Some dragons are growling menacingly and don't seem to want to tolerate all the students crowded in the entrance. Yet some are going to the middle of the barn with ease. When the teacher is done she stands back in front of the group. "Now who would like to go first?" People stand there trying not to make eye contact. "Anybody?" we all stand in silence. I hesitate, then I raise my hand, "I'll go!"

"Well, finally someone has the guts to come train a dragon!" I slowly walk up to the teacher. "Okay now stay calm, don't move muscle, they can sense fear." Her words are making me even more nervous. "Now stretch your arm out and stay absolutely still." She starts stepping back trying not to interfere. I wait patiently as the dragons look at me with their piercing, glowing eyes. They breath heavily and watch my every move. I feel sweat start to form on my face. Stay calm Luna...stay calm remember they sense fear. The dragons watch me closely as one slowly stalks towards me. Its a brown-green color with glowing green eyes. It has curled horns with wings made of thick tree branches with leaves and flowers blooming on them. It has light brown scales running from its chin down the stomach and to the tip of its tail with small spikes running down its back. It creeps towards me and slowly sniffs my hand. I stay absolutely still. Then the unbelievable happens. It presses its nose against my hand. Its eyes light up with a friendly tone. I smile as it steps back and watches me. I keep smiling then think: have just tamed my first dragon.