Chapter 33

Early April arrives and all anyone can talk about is prom. Who's going with who, who's been asked already, who's sure to be asked by so and so, dresses, shoes, hair, nails, the list goes on and on. I don't know how much more prom I can take.

"I'm just sick of it already." I complain, tossing my sweaty workout clothes back in my bag. Lena just laughs at me, "Whatever, you're just mad Cole hasn't asked you yet." I glare at her even though she's right. Prom's only a few weeks away and he still hasn't asked.

"Come on L, lets just go." She laughs again but then frowns, digging through her bag. "Ah crap, I must have left my phone in the dugout." She looks up at me with big puppy dog eyes. "Will you come with me?"

I glare at her, "You're really going to make me walk all the way back out to the field?" She bats her eyelashes, "Pretty pretty please?" I glare at her for another long moment and then sigh, "Fine, but hurry up, I actually want to be home at a decent hour."

She grins and loops her arm through mine, grabbing her bag and tugging me out of the locker room. "You're the bestest friend in the whole wide world you know." She says, practically skipping down the hallway and back out to the field.

"And you're acting hella weird Lena." She just laughs again and shoves open the door that leads outside. As we step out she does a little ta-da move and gestures below us.

I look down and see the word PROM spelled out with softballs. Cole's standing behind it in a baseball hoodie and shorts grinning. He's holding a bouquet of flowers and I notice Kyle standing off to the side.

I laugh, a smile spreading across my face. "You are a terrible best friend." I say, shoving her arm, marveling at the fact that she managed to keep this a secret. She giggles, "I know."

"You let me ramble forever in there about it and you didn't say one word!" She grins, "Aren't you proud of me?" I laugh and hug her, "Yes, very, and thank you." She hugs me back and then gives me a little nudge. "Go get your guy, don't leave him hanging." I laugh and then bound down the stairs and onto the field, straight into Cole's arms.

~*~

"This one is nice but I just don't think it's the one." I say, smoothing my hand across the silky red fabric. Lena nods, "Yeah, it's not really you is it?" I shake my head and then stare at her for a moment, "It might be you though."

She looks at me like I'm crazy. "No really, I could totally see you in this. Try it on." She shakes her head but stands up, "Fine but you have to try on one of my picks." I nod, "Deal."

She goes over to the chair beside her and grabs a dress that she picked out for me

She goes over to the chair beside her and grabs a dress that she picked out for me. She hands it to me and we both head into the changing rooms. I slip off the red dress and drop it over the divider wall for her to try on. I then step into the long mint colored dress she gave me.

I turn and look in the mirror, instantly knowing that this is the one. It has a sweetheart neckline and a ruched top with delicate beading all the way down. It's absolutely gorgeous and it fits me almost perfectly.

I step out of the dressing room at the same time as Lena

I step out of the dressing room at the same time as Lena. We both look at each other and, at the same time, say, "That's the one." We both laugh and then turn to look in the long mirror across from us. "This is it, you did good." Lena says. I laugh, "Well it turns out you have good taste too."

She grins and then we look at each other, "Gosh Dyl, it's almost over." I look at her, tears coming into my eyes, "Don't say that Lena, it's not over for us. We'll still be best friends in college." She nods, her eyes misty too, even though we both know that we most likely will grow apart in college.

She throws her arms around me and squeezes me tightly. "We're going to make it all count, the rest of the year is the best year of our lives, deal?" She whispers in my ear. I squeeze her back, "Deal." I whisper fiercely, we're going to make it count, I want to make it count.

                                                             _________________________________________________

A/N: Hey beautiful people! So I hope you liked this short little chapter, it's been awhile since we've had some Lena time so I figured it was time. This whole thing is getting ready to come to a close so bear with me these next few chapters.

Please let me know what you thought of this so far, your comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much,

~A