Chapter 29

Even with Kyle next to me I still struggle to sleep and at about 6:30 I give up and decide to take a walk. I quietly exit the house and walk, barefoot, down the beach. I don't really keep track of how far I've gone, eventually I stop and sit in the sand to watch the sunrise.

I look like shit but at the moment I don't care. I lose myself in trying not to think, as I watch the sun slowly make its ascent into the sky. I'm so focused on the water that I don't hear Cole until he's right next to me. I jump a little when I see the set of feet appear to my right and then look up at him.

He gives me a half smile and, with slight satisfaction, I realize that he looks just as bad as I do. His eyes are bloodshot, he's wearing the same clothes as yesterday and stinks strongly of beer. He's obviously hungover but I can tell that he's putting that aside to come out here.

"Can we talk?" He asks hesitantly, I can see in his eyes that he's unsure of my answer. I nod and he sits down next to me, neither of us saying anything for a while. Finally he starts to talk.

"Dylan," He says softly, "I'm so incredibly sorry. I never should have punched Dustin last night and I definitely shouldn't have accused you of flirting with him when I didn't know the whole story. I regret all of it and am so incredibly sorry. I feel terrible about the whole thing and I'm really hoping that we can work this out."

I shake my head, "You don't need to be apologizing to me Cole. I actually want to apologize to you. I was way out of line last night and I seriously over reacted. I blew things way out of proportion and made it a much bigger deal than it should have been. I am so sorry for that and I'm sorry that you felt like you should apologize because you shouldn't. I'm the one at fault here, not you and for that, I am very truly sorry."

Now he shakes his head, "No, it's not just on you Dylan. I think we both said some things that we regret and didn't mean." I nod, "I do regret it, all of it Cole. I didn't mean to hurt you and I feel like I did."

"No," He reaches out and takes my hand without hesitation. "No, you didn't hurt me Dylan, actually I feel like I hurt you. Something you said last night..." I shake my head, "Whatever it was, I didn't mean it."

"No, I feel like maybe you did you just didn't realize it before." He takes a deep breath and then looks into my eyes, "You said that you didn't think I trusted you." I bite my lip, instantly worried about where this is going.

"Don't look so worried Dyl, I just want you to know that I do trust you. Dylan, I trust you with my life. Trust isn't something I give out lightly. Usually it takes a long time for me to trust someone but, not with you. Dylan, I've trusted you from the very first time I met you. I love and trust you Dylan, I don't know about you but for me, those two things are to be cherished and not taken lightly."

"I can name about 3 people that I truly trust, you, Kyle, and Annaleigh. I trust you Dylan, maybe you feel like I don't because of what happened two years ago but, if anything, that should have changed your trust towards me not the other way around.... I trust you Dylan and because of that I'm not letting go, no matter what happens, I'm not letting go."

I feel tears in my eyes as I stare at him. He reaches out and brushes them away as they slide down my cheeks. "Please don't cry Dylan, I hate it when you cry." He says softly, squeezing my hand.

"Cole, I love you so much. I don't want to let go either, that's the last thing I want. Please, forgive me for last night." He shakes his head, "No Dyl, there's nothing to forgive." I shake my head, "I think I need to hear it Cole." He nods, "Alright I'll say it but only if you say you forgive me too."

"I do Cole, I forgive you." He smiles, "Good, because I forgive you too." I smile, feeling more tears slide down my cheeks. He reaches out and places his hand on my cheek, "I'm going to kiss you now, okay?" I nod, "Okay." I whisper as he leans down and brushes his lips against mine.

They say that makeup kisses are the best ones and before now I don't think I really believed that. Yet, as he kisses me, with so much passion and tenderness, I know that what they say is true.

As his lips glide smoothly against mine, everything left unsaid between us is coming out. Everything we couldn't have mentioned is being brought to the surface and released with this kiss.

I've never been kissed like this before. I don't think I ever want to be kissed another way again. There's so much love between us, I don't think anything could take that away.