Chapter 17

"I love you for a thousand years,
and I'll love you for a thousand more."
— Christina Perri
A Thousand Years

********

Over the course of next few days they came closer, in a sense. It had almost become like a routine for them to talk once a day. Chat over text happened even more often.

She found herself attracted to him— to the huskiness of his voice, the way he laughed, the way he joked nonchalantly. It was strange, for she was not even sure of his identity, she was not ready to give away hers either. But she knew he cared about her, he did not like it when she sounded unhappy or sad and she knew the feeling was mutual.

But there was something more than just the attraction. His suicidal tendencies scared her. And she had decided to not let go, to find a way to help him. Even though it sounded quite impossible; given that they did not know each other at all.

Brittney tried to go deep into his life to know him better, to understand him better. Though she knew it was hard, she had to be careful and sympathetic. And one night she went a little too far.

"Michael, you know, me and my parents are going to do a small barbeque type thing tonight."

"Wow, that's cool! I loved such parties as a kid."

"You did barbeque parties? That's pretty awesome!"

"No, I mean only when the whole family gathered. You know, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents. It used to be so much fun."

"Yes, it must've been. I love them as well. My friend, Annabel and her parents are joining us too." She was really happy. She had only ten days left and the last few tastes of happiness with family meant everything for her. "Why don't you do such parties anymore?"

She realized the answer instantly though. But she could not take back her words either.

"Yeah, the family kind of broke apart, you know. My parents were never really happy with their marriage. It was kind of like living in hell," he said in a cold tone. "After my brother's death it grew worse. More the years passed, worse it became."

"Why did they not get separated, then?"

"They.." He laughed out loud in a bitter tone, as if the memories were poisons. "You won't believe they did not separate for my sake. How ironic, right?

"They would say they still stayed together because they didn't want me to suffer. But that's what I did. Suffer.

"You know, all my life I've been told what a genius my brother was and how I'll never be like him." He paused. "Stephan was a genius by the way. Got a call from Stanford. I know what you must be thinking. That I envy him. But I don't."

"No, I don't think so. Hey, I think you are pretty cool yourself to be compared by anybody else."

"You say that to calm me down. But I'm okay."

"Hey, I—"

"Half my life got spent watching my parents fight on who was responsible for Stephan's accident. Though none was, to be honest. And the other half got spent watching them fight over me. Why I never became him. And yes, partially watching my mom die."

"Do you remember your brother?"

"Barely. I just have these visions of moments. And yeah, the photographs are there to back up my poor memory."

"Come on, it can't be that poor. Do you remember the spelling of my name?"

"Of course. It's not a double 't' right? It's Britney, single 't'." She laughed out loud at his words. Her voice echoed through the walls of her now almost empty room.

"Oh, slow down, there." He laughed out too. "Now while you enjoy your barbeque party, let me enjoy some private time by the sea. It's my summer vacation. Talk to you later, then?"

"Wait, did you just say sea? Are you in a vacation? Where do you live?"

"Why should I tell you, stalker?"

"Oh come on, I'm not a stalker. You know that!"

"I think you are hundred percent a stalker. I live in California."

"Whoa. That's so awesome!" She almost squealed. "Me too."

"Seriously?" He chuckled.

"Yes! Where in California?"

"Beauport. Please don't say 'me too' in that chirpy tone of yours."

"No. But seriously, this means I am just a forty minutes drive away from you baby."

"What? Where do you live?" He said. "Oh God."

"Erthington."

"No way."

"In every possible way."

"Holy shit. Fuck."

"There comes the swear boy," she said, grinning widely. "Do you think we can meet sometime?"

"That'd be a bad idea."

"Of course not. It'd be fun."

"Brittney, it's a really bad idea."

"Nah, it's not."

"God! Stop with that, okay?" He sounded angry, pissed off.

"Michael, it would be so awesome to see you!"

"It's not your high school fantasy, come on. Grow up!"

"I am eighteen, okay?"

"Why are you being like that? It's not possible," he said. "Never."

"Michael, I'm trying to help you here."

"Stop this!" He breathed heavily. "Let's talk about something else that does not include our locations and drives and meetings?"

"Come on, I'm not dropping this. Do you know how worried I get about you? Thinking if you are all right? I care for you!"

"I didn't ask you to."

"But I do! And so do you, Michael."

"You're not gonna stop this, huh?"

"No."

"What if I'm not interested in meeting you?"

"I know you do."

"No, you are mistaken. Stop being an ass!" He yelled.

"I am not. You are being that!"

"Fine, then. Don't call me. Ever again. Ever!" He ended the line immediately.

*******

Whooo! So basically I've no idea what I am writing. By the way, Beauport is another fictitious town.

Vote, comment and share.
Add it to your awesome reading lists!!

On another note, I think I need a break now. A hiatus. It's being too much of a load. Don't worry I'd update, try to. But don't expect me to regularly. Basically because real life is not like wattpad or as sweet as the author's notes. So maybe a hiatus?

P.S.— Get ready for the one shot contest. Not too many chapters are left for the book to end as you might think.