Chapter 21

"A flock of birds/ Hovering above
Just a flock of birds/
That's how you think of love/
And I always/ Look up to the sky/
Pray before the dawn/
'Cause they fly always"
- O (Fly on) // Coldplay

********

Michael was out in a library, busy with a school project that day. His parents had a huge fight, the way it happened every day- but a little more agitated and threats of killing each other included. It had always been this way, so bad that he sometimes wished they would just divorce. But they stayed together; to fight more, break more glasses, accuse each other of cheating more, and insulting the other one for Michael not becoming as excellent as their first child. And to bring up Stephan's death in every small issue had become a habit for them.

The fight was something massive that day and his mother had sworn she would never touch the floor of their house. Neither had his father listened to the words, nor had his mom restrained herself from getting five bottles of beer and another one of scotch down her throat. She had driven the car like crazy for the entire night until she had lost all controls over the car and brakes, the police had later informed. Her car had brutally hit a 18-wheeler truck on the highway, smashing her pathetically and killing her on spot instantly.

As he looked in front of his laptop screen, his mind finally coming back from the memories of that horrible day's incident, all he could feel was guilt. For all those incidents and also for whatever was happening to this innocent and charming girl. She did not deserve any of it. The more she was around him, the more pain she would get later.

Samantha, his ex-girlfriend's voice resurfaced in his head:

Well what the hell? You just want me to stand here and see you die so that you get someone to blame for your own death?
You are repugnant, M! Your mom dies, now you die. Wow, just wow.

She had screamed and screeched until she knew he could not take anymore.

You know what, do whatever you want! Wanna die? Go. I won't stop you. Just cut this crap that's between us.

He knew what she had meant. He knew by then she was sleeping with Lee already. But he had hoped it all was a lie, he had hoped she'd come back and explain. But she never did, she rather wanted him to end it. So he did. He kissed her one last time, and let her go.

That was another mistake. Nothing as a goodbye kiss exists. It makes you wanna go back to the person more and more.

"Michael, why do I get the feeling that I am rambling and you are not listening a word?" Brittney suspiciously questioned.

"Uh..no. Of course not. Just got a little carried off." As he said the words, his face contorted with pain. What was he trapping the girl into? She had already been shattered into pieces by someone she loved. He could not break her again. That was never his intention.
How would be in peace knowing he had perished another life?

In the past few weeks, she had come so dangerously close that it was impossible for him to make her advance a step further.

He had to end everything. Now.

******

Dedicated to -Rinii- for being the amazing friend, supporter and teacher that she is. Hope you always stay like this.

This is the last update until I come back from hiatus. It might be a week from now, or more. I'd hope that the support would not fade off, even though the story pace might apparently seem to be falling. I'm trying to get somewhere with this.

On another note, the one-shot contest responses were overwhelming! I've already received three entries within three days. Hope I get more. If any questions, pm me but I cannot assure if I'd reply.

Also, you can drop off your contest entries or queries now at Deekshadreamzwatt@gmail.com. I might respond there. For now, I'm uninstalling this app.

Vote, comment and share. Add it to your reading lists and support!!

Lots of love and please stick with the story. I'll be back soon and there'd be loads of updates then. :)