Chapter 3

Recap: Riko continues spending her first day at Ouran with her newfound friends.

「Riko」

"I nearly forgot how long school was," I groaned, exhausted after all the countless introductions I had to. Sucks beings the new student.

Despite it being my first day of school, the teachers show no mercy. Piles of assignments and homework are just waiting for me to finish when I get home. Ouran Private Academy is no joke when it comes to their academics. I grimaced at the thought, causing Haruhi to chuckle. Now that host club hours had concluded, Haruhi and I were on our way to pick up my things from Tisumi's to take home.

"How long has it been since you've been home?" Haruhi wondered out loud, our arms linked together as we walked beside each other.

"Too long, I tell you. It doesn't look like too much has changed since I was away," I remarked.

"When you were gone, life wasn't as exciting anymore. It isn't complete without you and your silly antics and smile," she chuckled.

Playfully shoving her side, I said in mock offense, "I am not silly!"

Haruhi only laughed in response, me joining her shortly after. I really missed being able to talk so freely and bond with Haruhi like this. Judging by the way her eyes light up, I can tell she felt the same way. When our laughter died down, we continued to walk in a comfortable silence. My mind slowly wandered to my father. Noticing my quietness, Haruhi nudged my side lightly, causing me to look up at her.

"What's on your mind, Ri?" she questioned, giving me her full attention.

I sighed, knowing that I couldn't hide anything from her. "I'm just worried, Haru. About seeing Dad again. I'm not the same little girl that I was when I was younger. What if he'll be disappointed at what he sees? Or if he doesn't want to see me at all?"

We came to a complete stop. I could feel Haruhi's shocked stare burning into by side profile. Ashamed, I looked away. Hearing her sigh deeply, she pulled me into a hug. Resting my head on her shoulder, I felt her run her fingers through my hair in a gentle stroke. I closed my eyes. Whenever Haruhi did this, it would remind me of our mother when she would console us. After Mom passed away, Haruhi took it upon herself to pick up this habit.

"Now this is you being silly. Of course Dad will be happy to see you. No, he'll be overjoyed. Did you know that he talks about you every single day? There's not one moment where he doesn't think of you. You've grown into such an amazing woman. There is no way that he'll be disappointed in you. He'll be so proud to see what his precious daughter has become," Haruhi explained to me, her voice soft and reassuring.

"You really think so?" I mumbled, my voice muffled by her shirt.

"I know so," she agreed.

Pulling away from her embrace, I smiled up at my sister to which she smiled right back. It was times like this where I felt blessed to have her in my life. Resuming our walk, we headed to Tisumi's. Inserting the spare key into the door, we entered the house. Tisumi wasn't home yet, so I left her a little note telling her that Haruhi and I were here. Then, Haruhi and I began getting my things from upstairs. Luckily, I didn't have much. Only a large suitcase, a duffel bag and my violin case.

After acquiring my things, Haruhi led the rest of the way home since my memory was still a bit foggy. Soon we were standing in front of a small apartment complex. Heading up the stairs to the second level, we ended up standing in front of our door. Biting my lip, I tried to get rid of the nervousness bubbling inside me. Haruhi must have noticed because she gave me a comforting squeeze on my shoulder and unlocked the door.