12. Mariya

I felt guilty that I didn't leave a note for Kito that I would be going to the zoo with my dad today. He insisted that he took me somewhere I used to love to go.

I had an Indian print dress on with my pastel white purse around my neck. My dad was pushing my wheel chair through the entrance of the zoo and paid for the both of us.

The employee offered us some help since I'm handicapped, but my father refused. His blonde hair was slicked back out of his face and he had a pair of sunglasses on that looked almost exactly like mine.

Talk about twinning with your dad. . .

I held my camera in my hands and looked up at my dad. "It's been such a long time since I've been here dad."

"Me too, I'm excited to see if anything is different!" He exclaimed like a child.

Sometimes I wondered who the real kid was here.

After wandering around for awhile and seeing all the basic animals like the giraffes, elephants, lions, monkeys, and what not we came across a small wolf exhibit that caught my eyes. As I was taking pictures of the sleeping wolves one of the zookeepers approached my dad and started talking to him. I set down my camera and ate a handful of popcorn.

"I think my daughter here has taken a liking to the wolves. Haven't you Mariya?" I tuned my head towards my father and the zookeeper and nodded.

"They're quiet lovely, such nice animals," I sighed wishing I could pet them.

"We actually have a baby wolf that was recently born a few weeks ago, I'm sure I could give you permission to hold her," the nice zookeeper told me.

I smiled brightly, "That would be amazing, thank you."

"Okay, just follow me!"

Dad took the handles of the wheelchair and pushed it towards the direction where the zookeeper was going.

"You'll get to hold a baby wolf Mariya, time to mark that off of your bucket list," my dad said ruffling my hair then fixing it. I giggled and put my camera back into my purse.

The zookeeper opened a door to a building and held it open for my dad to navigate the wheelchair through the doorway. "Thank you," I said since my dad was focused on not tipping the wheelchair over.

She nodded and closed the door behind her. "The wolf's name is Emerald," she said taking the sleeping wolf out of the cage and setting her on my lap.

"Why's that?" I asked petting Emerald.

"Because of her astonishing green eyes, they looked similar to the gem."

"What a beautiful name, for a beautiful wolf," I said smiling and petting the wolf continuously.

"Mariya?" My dad asked getting my attention.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want a picture with Emerald?"

"Of course I do!" I said louder than I usually speak. Emerald opened her eyes and there I saw why her name was Emerald. She snuggled into my lap more and licked at my fingers that were small compared to her big paws. Then she yawned which was the cutest thing about her.

"My, my, what a big yawn you have for such a small wolf," I mused.

While I chatted away with Emerald and the zookeeper my dad took some pictures of us together.

"Here," the zookeeper said putting an Emerald beaded bracelet on to my small wrist.

"Thank you, it's beautiful."

"Think of it as a gift from Emerald, she hasn't really taken a liking to anyone but a few people."

"Awe, well Emerald is as anti-social as I was," I giggled, "thank you again for showing me Emerald miss."

"You are quite welcome." She said taking Emerald back and putting her into her cage carefully.

After my adventure with Emerald I was a little tired but we went and saw the rest of the animals and got ice cream while watching the dolphin show at the aquarium.

After we saw all the animals we went around the gift shop and I saw a stuffed animal that resembled Emerald.

"Dad, can I get that stuffed animal that looks like Emerald?"

"Sure sweetie, want some of your favorite chocolates since they sell them here too?"

"Yes! You know I can't pass up my soft chocolates Dad," I said clutching my own Emerald to my chest.

After our adventure at the zoo, dad decided we should head back to the hospital instead of staying for fireworks. That was okay with me because I was exhausted.

The car ride back 'home' was felt log and endless, but before I knew it I was back in my hospital bed with dad hugging and setting a wrapped gift onto my side table along with Emerald and the rest of my belongings.

"Sleep well Mariya," he whispered and kissed my forehead.

"Thanks dad," I whisper back before he left. I smiled and fell asleep peacefully.

Later that night I heard my door open and there stood Ellie and Kito. Kito came in and assumed his usual position on the couch and Ellie made sure I wasn't running a fever and that I was comfortable.

This was my family now.

Ellie, Kito, and dad.

I didn't need anyone else but those three people. I didn't need any of my old friends, or the people that were meant to help me.

I had the people that I needed right by my side and as long as I had them I would be okay.