River x Eleven

River Song plopped down on the floor of the TARDIS console room beside the Doctor. The Doctor was huddled up, holding his knees close to his chest like a scared child. But in a way, River thought, he was a child. A child who is afraid of the dark. A child who's afraid of being alone.
She swallowed, afraid that the Doctor would go mad at any second. She knew he was a fragile man. He could snap at any moment.
The Doctor sat completely still as if he were dead. River worried about him. There are times after he saves the world where he feels so alone even when he's around many people. Perhaps it's because he never gets a thank you. Perhaps it's because he never gets attention. But this time was different.
He saved a whole galaxy this time. Not a single living thing in that galaxy even knew that they were in danger. The Doctor just happened to be in the right place at the right time; as always. But he lost someone in the process. Someone who he just met. They were young and fearless. They sacrificed their life for the whole galaxy. Of course, the Doctor doesn't always keep everyone alive. Only once. But everybody knows that everybody dies. But nobody knows it the the Doctor.
The Doctor was still curled up when River thought about speaking to him.
'Doctor?' said River softly.
The Doctor didn't even twitch. He sat still.
'Sweetie,' River began rubbing the Doctor's back. 'You're not alone. I'm here, Doctor.'
River's hand felt his hearts beating slowly. Normal for a Time Lord. River sighed. Then the Doctor began shaking. His hearts started beating a little faster.
'Doctor,' River sat up and tried to look at the Doctor, but he was still huddled up. 'Doctor, please speak to me.'
'R-River...' the Doctor mumbled. He sniffed and began sobbing.
'I'm here, sweetie,' River comforted.
The Doctor finally lifted his head. Tears were streaming down his face.
River had never seen the Doctor cry before. At least not like this.
'It's okay, Doctor,' River assured him. 'It's going to be alright. Please stop crying, Doctor.'
River wrapped her arms around the Doctor. 'Thank you,' she said.
The Doctor managed to barely say, 'For what?'
'For being my Doctor,' Rover said. She kissed him on the forehead. 'Thank you for saving the universe. No one's said thank you in a long time have they?'
The Doctor continued crying.
'I know it's difficult to carry on when you have to loose so many,' River fought back the tears in her eyes. 'I understand.'
The Doctor's crying quieted a little bit. 'Thank you.'
'Stop it,' River said.
'No,' the Doctor choked. 'Thank you, River. You're the only one who could understand.'
River leaned back on the wall. The Doctor didn't make eye contact, but lay his head on River's lap.
River stroked his hair gently.
The Doctor kept telling himself to stop crying, but it wasn't working. His throat kept making those ugly hic sounds that it makes when you cry or have the hiccups.
River was on the verge of crying herself. Her throat burned from holding back her tears. She finally shut her eyes and allowed the tears to fall. One landed on the Doctor's cheek.
'Not you too,' he said. 'Please don't cry.'
River laughed a little bit. 'I can't help myself.'
'River,' the Doctor took a deep breath, still sobbing uncontrollably. 'Everything is going to be okay.'