Chapter Thirty: The Christmas Gift

Brushing her fingers tenderly over the small bump that had formed, Camelia couldn't believe that things had changed so much and she hated that this was how she was going to be spending the festive season. 

It had been two weeks since her and the children arrived in court and Camelia had been horrified to learn that Cristiano's relatives were fighting over his things as if he had been murdered. 

Emperor Carlo had been so supportive and his kindness had meant that her, Junior and Mateo were kept safe from people that would wish to hurt them. 

Joanna peeked at her mistress, she was worried for her and she knew that things would be okay when Cristiano was returned to them; she took her duties serious and would do anything to keep her mistress safe. 

"Would you like some dinner my lady?" Natasha asked stepping into the room, she peeked at Joanna knowing that they were both worried for Camelia; she didn't need all the stress that was going on around her when she was pregnant. 

The baby was the most important thing now and Camelia had done so well to give Cristiano two healthy heirs, they were the ones that would stand to inherit everything if their father had passed on. 

Not the relatives that currently fought over the properties and lands that belonged to Cristiano, they were trying to steal away everything that Cristiano had built for himself. 

Shaking her head, Camelia offered her two ladies-in-waiting a small smile wanting to think about what would happen now; she feared for her sons knowing they were a threat to Cristiano's relatives if he was dead and they would wish to see them gone. 

The Emperor had reassured her that he would do everything in his power to make sure that the two boys and the child that she carried would be provided for if anything should happen to their father.

It disgusted both him and the Empress that people would be so willing to steal away the children's inheritance and would do so without a second thought; they would make sure that things wouldn't leave Camelia and her children broke. 

A knock on the door snapped Camelia out of her thoughts and she hoped it wasn't another courter that had come to gain her favour; she didn't want to deal with anyone today. 

"A gift Lady Aveiro," a man said stepping into the room carrying a box, he was dressed in the colours of the Emperor's household and it eased Camelia's mind. 

Signalling for the box to be set on the table, she wondered who could be sending her a gift; it was finely wrapped and Camelia slowly walked over to the table curious about what was inside. 

Carefully moving to open the box, Camelia was greeted by a God-awful smell that made her stomach turn; she wrinkled her nose wondering what it could be. 

Lifting the lid from the box, Camelia felt her stomach roll as she saw what lay inside the box; she stepped back in shock wondering if this was some sort of joke. 

"Oh My God," Camelia gasped dropping the lid of her box, her hands shook as she stumbled away from the table; her ladies-in-waiting quickly moved to catch her so she didn't fall to the floor. 

They had no idea what was in the box but judging by the horrible smell that was coming from it, it couldn't be good; the man moved to see if the Lady was alright not liking the colour that she had turned. 

"No please no..." Camelia whispered hysterically not wanting to believe what she had seen, she feared that the hand that lay inside that box belonged to her husband. 

If that was true then Camelia feared for his life, she couldn't imagine what sort of sick person was holding Cristiano hostage or if she had ever seen him alive again.

***

"What sort of person does this?" Lord Casillas spat disgusted at what had happened and that someone would send a severed hand to a pregnant woman; it was bad enough they had her husband hostage. 

The idea that they were sending gifts like this to Camelia was worrying and they would need to act fast if they were going to get Cristiano out of this alive and with the rest of his limbs attached. 

Emperor Carlo shook his head, it was a horrible thing to do and he wouldn't stand for it happening again; he would ensure that Camelia and her children were kept safe. 

"How is the Lady Aveiro?" General Ramos asked concerned, he couldn't imagine what sort of shock this must have been for Cristiano's wife; he knew his own would be horrified if this happened to her. 

Camelia was pregnant and everyone was trying to make her pregnancy a calm one considering what was happening; they would do anything to make sure she didn't lose this child. 

The best doctors had been employed by the Emperor and his wife to ensure that Camelia would be cared for; they couldn't imagine how upset she would be if something happened to the child that she carried. 

"The doctor has attended to her. She will be fine tomorrow," Emperor Carlo replied knowing that it had been a horrible shock, this was not how her first Christmas as Cristiano's wife should have gone. 

Not only should her husband been here with her and their two sons, but no one would have dared send her a severed hand; it was a sign that things were only going to get worse. 

"Now we must plan to return General Ronaldo to her alive," Emperor Carlo mused wanting to get this sorted as soon as possible, he would never forgive himself if he didn't do something to help the man that had served him so loyally in the past few years.

***

Resting back in bed, Camelia tried to get the sight of the severed hand from her mind and she knew without a doubt that it had been Cristiano's; she feared what state her husband was in right now. 

Her fingers moved to brush against her bump through the material of her maxi chemise, she wondered if Cristiano would ever get to meet the child that she carried; she feared what would happen to them if he didn't come back. 

Camelia hated this and she cursed her parents for what they were doing, she had seen the note that had come with the gift even if people wished that she did not. 

Her father was behind this and he was taking some sort of sick pleasure in hacking off bits of Cristiano and sending them to her; she knew that he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. 

Carson wished to punish Camelia for siding with Cristiano, he had never wanted her with him and he would do anything to ruin the happiness in her life. 

Once he had gotten rid of Cristiano then he would come for her children, Carson would make Camelia watch as he got rid of every evidence of her marriage to Cristiano before killing her. 

"You should get some sleep my Lady," Joanna insisted trying to make Camelia as comfortable as possible, the boys were safe with their nanny and they had guards posted at their bedroom door. 

No one would be laying a hand on them and Camelia was grateful for the kindness of the Emperor, she didn't know what she would do without his protection. 

Camelia leaned back on her pillows not saying a word, she doubted that she would get much sleep tonight and she wondered what the future was going to hold. 

It seemed like a dream now that she would ever see Cristiano again and it scared her that she might have to bury him; they had barely gotten to live their lives together as man and wife.