Chapter Nineteen: Passing Judgement

Stepping into Cristiano's office, Jorge eyed his boss knowing that he had been far too silent since he'd had Hugo arrested; he didn't like this and he could only imagine what was going on inside his head. 

"Cris?" Jorge murmured wanting to know what was going on, it was the middle of the night and it was clear that he hadn't been to bed yet; he was a little worried about what Hugo had said to him. 

Jorge didn't believe a word that had come out of Hugo's mouth, the man had always been jealous of what Cristiano had but it was clearly something that would eat away at Cristiano. 

"I want you to call the executioner... his services will be required," Cristiano said not turning to look at Jorge, his gaze stared out of the window and into the dark night. 

Hugo's words had been ringing in his head for the last couple of hours and the images that they created only served to make his blood boil with fury; he couldn't forget what he was imagining and that scared him. 

"For Hugo?" Jorge asked to be sure, he knew that Dolores wasn't going to be pleased when she found out what had transpired but he doubted that she would be able to talk Cristiano out of killing his brother. 

Jorge had some people doing research and what he had heard hadn't been good, it seemed that Hugo had been sleeping with most of the staff that worked for Cristiano; not only them but also Catalina, going on to father the child that Cristiano thought was his. 

It made sense to Jorge now why Hugo had said what he had, when Cristiano died it was Hugo's bastard that would inherit everything; he was ruining Cristiano's bloodline to make his own succeed. 

"No. I'll execute him myself," Cristiano replied, he didn't look back knowing that he had to do something; betrayal was not something that he could forgive and forget.

Jorge could only stare at Cristiano, he had a bad feeling and he couldn't help but fear what Cristiano might have decided while he had been alone; anger was a terrible thing when the person was being manipulated. 

"Then who?" Jorge asked worried about the answer, he knew that Hugo's words had stuck something inside of Cristiano; something that would distract him from the truth. 

Cristiano closed her brown eyes, he knew that no one would like his answer but he had to be firm; he wasn't going to be fooled anymore and he would be making sure no one could hurt him again. 

"Camelia. I can't bring myself to face her," Cristiano murmured not looking back, he had made his decision and it was better this way; he was ignoring what his heart was screaming. 

His heart was the reason that they were in this situation, he felt like such a fool and Cristiano was determined not to ever fall into this trap again. 

"Cris... you don't want to do this. Talk to her," Jorge pleaded knowing that with just a little more time, he would be able to prove that Hugo had not only been lying but had manipulated the entire situation. 

Catalina was the woman that Cristiano should be worried about, if she was allowed to get away with this then Cristiano would be raising someone else's son. 

"SHE BETRAYED ME!" Cristiano shouted turning to Jorge, he tried not to break down but his thoughts kept thinking about what Hugo had said. 

Mateo was meant to be his son and now Cristiano wasn't sure if he believed that anymore; his head told him so many things and he was no longer sure which of them were true. 

"Call the executioner or I will," Cristiano spat turning away from him, he couldn't bring himself to think about the consequences; he was so angry and confused right now and he just wanted control again.

***

"Your stitches are healing nicely," Matias said pleased with how Camelia's recovery was going, he had a meeting with Cristiano tomorrow to inform him of what had happened and he hoped it went well. 

Things were going to be okay and Matias knew that Hugo would suffer for what he had done, he was sure that it would also lead to the reveal that something had happened between him and Catalina. 

Camelia nodded to him, she offered him a weak smile wanting to sleep; she had found herself not being able to do much else since the attack but Matias had reassured her that it was her body's way of recovering from her injuries. 

Before Matias could say anything else, guards burst into the bedroom followed by the two maids who were trying to stop them; they were pushed back out of the way while the guards focused on Camelia. 

"What the hell are you doing?" Matias said wondering why they had come here, Cristiano would have sent word if they were under attack and had to flee. 

This didn't make sense and Matias knew he'd be having serious words with Cristiano when he met with him in the morning; it was ridiculous that this was even happening right now. 

"Camelia Falco. You are under arrest," the leader of the guards said signalling for his men to grab Camelia, they had orders to take her to the cells and it didn't matter if she was wearing her print nightdress. 

Camelia opened her mouth in protest before she was dragged from the bed, she could barely stand on her own two feet and it hurt to even try. 

"You can't do this," Matias shouted trying to stop them, he wanted nothing more than to stop this before they did some serious damage to his patient; he couldn't believe this was happening. 

Camelia had done nothing wrong, she was innocent and she didn't deserve to suffer for someone else's wrong doing; Matias swore to make this right. 

"Joanna hide them. Keep them safe," Camelia pleaded fearing for her sons, she didn't know what was going on but it was clear Hugo was behind it.

***

Sniffling Camelia cuddled into the back of the cell, it was cold and damp in here and she had a feeling that she wouldn't be held here long; she still didn't know why she was here and she feared what was going on. 

The door to the cell opened allowing light to flood inside, she flinched not knowing how long she had been trapped in here for only that it was something that she here to stay for now. 

"My Lady," Natasha said worried about how pale Camelia was, she didn't look well and she knew that it couldn't be a good sign; she just hoped that this would be over soon. 

Camelia felt relief flood her, she didn't want to deal with the guards who seemed to think that it was okay to touch her anyway they liked; it was clear that Cristiano's protection wasn't on her anymore. 

"The boys?" Camelia asked knowing that whatever fate lay ahead of her tomorrow that her two sons were safe; she had a feeling that she wasn't the only one without Cristiano's protection. 

Camelia cursed herself for not having told Cristiano what Hugo had done the first time; she could only imagine what sort of lies the man had told Cristiano and now she had no chance to defend herself. 

"Joanna has taken them from the lands... she is keeping them safe," Natasha said wrapping her arms around Camelia trying to warm her, it was freezing and it certainly wouldn't help Camelia's already weak body. 

Camelia closed her eyes and finally let herself weep, she couldn't believe this was happening to her and she knew that Cristiano would be hard to talk around; she doubted anyone could convince him of her innocence if Hugo had filled his head with lies.