Chapter 13

The next morning, Mom seemed to be waiting for me when I bounded into the kitchen, dropping my backpack by the island. Even though they were sending us to school, I had a feeling someone would be watching us the entire day.

"Your father and I," she said, "are making contact with every nonhuman we know in the region, trying to gather any information we can. Plus, they need to be warned. Anyway, I'm going to visit an old friend later, and I'd like you to come with me. I have something I think you especially need to know."

Mom was taking me with her to help her work? I felt my whole body lift a little higher, and wondered if I beamed on the outside as much as I did inside.

"I'll pick you up at school," she said, looking brighter herself, "and we'll leave from there."

"What about Dad?"

"He's trying to locate some old connections of ours, so it'll just be you and me this time."

The way she said connections, and how they'd talked about having our own database the night before, was like my parents had been operating their own underground alien spy network right under our noses. If so, I hoped all of this revealing meant we were getting in on the family business.

I hugged her with renewed energy, hoping school would just zip by. I had better things to do than algebra.

"Hon," she said before I slipped away, "I didn't want to say this in front of everyone last night, but you do need to be careful with Earth Patrol. The whole concept was alluring to me too. It was a chance to be myself and use my powers for something real. And Adonis seemed genuine at first, but I think you can guess now how that turned out."

I swallowed.

"I'm not trying to malign them," Mom continued. "For all intents and purposes, Kenji, Hayden, and Bryce look like they're here for the right reasons. But I learned quickly that looks are deceptive. You can't take anything in our world at face value. Remember that."

"I will." It was like she knew I'd seen Bryce–and the other two–when I was at school. And after what I'd just found out the night before, I told myself she probably did know.

"Don't trust them too easily. That's all I'm asking." She brightened again, smoothing down my shirt. "Now get going. You'll be late."

I got to school on less of a high than I expected. So when I saw Lachlan hanging out by one of the trees near the parking lot the next morning, waving me over, I had to switch gears and focus on yesterday's events. Namely the Azmon brothers' attack at school. He leaned against the tree in his usual leather jacket and T-shirt. The silver chain dangled around his neck, the pendant tucked beneath his shirt as always.

"I see you survived," he said.

"You too."

He pinched his mouth together. "So I guess you filled in your parents."

"Not entirely."

I think that surprised him, because his ice blue eyes widened ever so much.

"Look," I said, "I don't know what your deal is or if I can trust you, but thank you. I wouldn't be standing here with my head intact without your help."

"You're welcome." He half smiled. "You remind me of someone. Guess it's given me a soft spot for you."

He'd said that before–in the shed. The reminding him of someone part, not the soft spot part. "Who do I remind you of?"

His eyes unfocused, though they were still technically locked on mine. "Someone I was close to once. It was a long time ago." Lachlan pushed off the tree, digging his hands in his jean pockets. How long ago could it have been? We were only teenagers. "Do you want to hang out after school? We could study at your house again."