Chapter 4

Xavier and I realized at the same moment that we might have an audience, if the guy who threw our tracker into the lake had decided to hang around and watch us. As we stood there, I felt like I could sense the blood moving through my veins–an undercurrent I'd never experienced and it totally freaked me out. I couldn't pinpoint why, but I knew we had to get out of there.

"We need to leave," I whispered, tugging Xavier's jacket.

"Okay, just a sec–"

"No! Someone's here." I looked around furtively, the same sense I'd had in the woods when I found the dead girl. We weren't alone. I was certain.

Xavier stared into the trees, both of our breathing slowing as we listened for anything other than us. I couldn't hear anything, but I could definitely feel it. "All–all right. We'll go."

Xavier took my hand and we hurried back to the car, deciding that stopping for coffee sounded like a good idea after all. We discussed our next move on the way.

"We need to tell Mom and Dad stat," Xavier said. "If this guy thinks to dig through food for a tracker, I don't think any other tricks will work."

He was probably right. I had a feeling trapping this person would be a problem.

We flew into the school parking lot, still with plenty of time to spare. I downed the last of my latte. "We should leave this early more often," I said, holding one eye closed to check if there was any more in my cup. "It's nice going at a more leisurely pace." The weird feeling I'd had near the lake had dissipated, and if I felt anything, it was jittery from the coffee. Maybe the sensation was all in my head because of fear.

"Well, if you got up earlier, we could."

"Well, if you weren't so disorganized, we would."

He screwed up his face in irritation. "I'm not disorganized. I know where everything is."

"Except your homework and school books." I glanced out the front windshield and caught sight of Lachlan. He stood on the sidewalk a few feet away, scanning the parking lot until he saw me. He smiled and my stomach fluttered. Then I reminded myself he might not remember my name.

"It's dangerous to get too involved with humans."

I rolled my eyes. "We just met."

"You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do. Stop worrying." I glanced back at Xavier before shutting the car door, and he looked a lot like my dad when he was concerned about something, but there was nothing to be concerned about.

Maybe.

Then again, when Lachlan grinned at me, one side of his mouth curving up with just a peek of teeth, I thought Xavier might be right to worry.

"Hey, Rosamund," he said. "See, I remembered your name." He stood taller, proud of his achievement, maybe expecting a gold star or something?

I only smiled. "How long have you been here?" I thought we got in early, but Lachlan didn't carry a bag or anything, like he'd already dumped everything in his locker.

"Uh...few minutes. Tops."

"Oh. Where's your bag?"

"My what?"

"Your bag? You know, how you carry your books?" I glanced back at the parking lot, spying his purple motorcycle. There was definitely nowhere to store them on that.

"I don't."

I thought he was kidding, but he looked dead serious. "Oh–okay." I couldn't begin to come up with a response to that.