Chapter 29

Saturday morning dawned clearly. The anxiety that had surrounded Lexie during the week seemed to evaporate as she prepared for her wedding in the vestry of St. Michael's. Molly, Meredith, and Cristina were all in the room with her. Her sisters were helping her get ready, and Cristina was providing the commentary.

"I can't believe you are marrying McSteamy," Cristina said, drinking from her flute of champagne which she and Meredith had brought with them.

"McSteamy?" Molly repeated.

"Derek is McDreamy, Mark is McSteamy," Meredith said.

"Ok-ay," Molly said, dusting blush over Lexie's cheeks. "Whatever that means."

Lexie smiled. "Don't worry, you will get the Seattle Grace speak eventually."

"Whatever," Cristina said. "The point is that you have neutered McSteamy. He was all sex and hotness, and you made him all domesticity and boyfriend of the year. I do not approve."

Lexie smiled. "Don't worry, Dr. Yang. I think Dr. Hunt might be taking over as the new McSteamy of the hospital."

Cristina blanched. "Never mind, new topic."

Lexie grinned triumphantly as Molly finished with her makeup.

"There!" Her sister said. "You are all ready."

Lexie turned and saw her reflection in the mirror. She hardly recognized the woman staring back at her. Instead of simple and sweet Lexie Grey, a vision had taken her place. Her hair, which defied style, was gently curling about her face with it loosely pulled up into a topknot which her veil was secured to. Her face was glowing, and Molly had only added enough makeup to enhance her natural beauty. But it was her dress which completed the transformation. The corset bodice was cinching in her waist and the dress billowed out into a full skirt with a simple bustle in the back.

"Oh my God," Lexie murmured. "I am getting married today."

Molly stood to her sister's side as she looked in the mirror and smiled. "You're just now figuring that out?"

"It hadn't sunk in yet," Lexie replied. She then turned to all the women. "Would you mind giving me a moment?"

Christina, Molly, and Meredith left the room. Once they had, Lexie continued gazing at her reflection as the weight of what she was about to do hit her. She was committing to one man for the rest of her life, and it should have scared her. She should have been panicking, and questioning everything. But she wasn't.

Nothing had ever felt so right.

She was marrying the man of her dreams today.

***

"What if she doesn't show up?"

"Relax," Derek said with a grin, clapping Mark on the shoulder. "She will be here."

"But what if she isn't?" Mark asked anxiously.

Derek shook his head as he looked at his best friend. He had never seen him so nervous. Usually, Mark was brimming with self confidence, but not this day. As they waited in a little room to the side of the altar, Mark had begun pacing, only to stop every few minutes to ask the same question again.

"Don't worry, Mark," Derek said reveling in his friend's nerves. "If she stands you up, I have a fast car. You can go out the side door and no one will know."

"Thanks, that's helpful," Mark said sarcastically.

"Just being the best man," Derek said.

"You're a crappy best man," Mark replied.