Chapter 12

"Happy Birthday to you!" we all sing loudly and cheerfully. Gus is sitting in his highchair clapping his chubby hands and giggling. It's been one year with him and it still feels unreal. 

"Happy Birthday, Gus." I say kissing him on the cheek. He giggles and spits on his cake as he attempts to blow out the candle. He reaches for the candle and I keep having to take his hand and pull it away from the flame. I end up blowing the candle out, anyway. 

"I still can't believe he is one!" my mom says. I take Gus out of his highchair and hold him on my right hip.

"I just wish Augustus could see him." 

"I am sure he's watching over us, Hazel." my mom says kissing my cheek. Our relationship has really grown ever since Gus got here. I have really changed. Well, not the cancer part. I still have the same old cannula with the clear tube and nubbins. At this point I lost hope in defeating cancer, but I won't let if affect me. 

"Happy first, Gus." Isaac says walking over to us with his mom. I gently hand Gus over to Isaac and adjust his hands around Gus. Isaac's mom taps Gus on the chin and walks away leaving Isaac, Gus, and I.

"What does he look like now?" he asks curiously. Isaac has done this every week. He asks about Gus; mostly about what he looks like now.

"He looks a lot like Augustus. Picture Augustus." I say. 

He nods.

"Now picture his eyes, nose, and mouth on a baby." 

He nods.

"His hair is a light brown, but it's sort of dark at the top. Can you imagine him?" I ask curiously to whether or not he sees Gus in his mind.

"I see Augustus. A minature Augustus Waters. With a cigarette in his mouth." Isaac laughs. 

"I am not putting a cigarette in my child's mouth," I laugh.

"Augustus would." Isaac says.

"Who knows what he would do." I say. Who knows though. Augustus was predictable, but not all the time. Isaac and I sit down with Gus and we talk about everything that has gone through our lives recently. 

Today has been a good, productive day. 

Sorry for not updating recently! I hope you like this chapter!